M. P. HAWK, of the firm of HAWK & TIPTON, dealers in hardware, stoves and tinware, Cleveland, Tenn., is the son of William H. and Mahulda (ANDERSON) HAWK. The father was a native of East Tennessee, and the mother of Virginia, and when a girl came to Tennessee. They were married in Hawkins County, and after living in Knox County, came to Bradley, where Mr. HAWK farmed and blacksmithed. Both were active in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In their family were seven children--two sons and five daughters. Our subject was born in Bradley County, July 14, 1854, was raised on a farm, and received a good average education. At nineteen years of age he began to learn the tinner's trade under W. W. WOOD. of Cleveland. After working for him five years he became his partner, and two years later bought him out. In 1886 E. C. TIPTON joined him, and they now run two stores in Cleveland. In 1876 he married Emma A. BOWN, who died two years later. In 1880 he married Sallie A. DODSON, by whom two children--Theone and Karl were born. He is a member of the Methodist Espiscopal Church South, and she of the Episcopal. He was alderman at the time the public school was put on its present footing. He is a Mason. As a business man he has been very successful, having started as a day laborer. He arose by his own efforts to what he now is. Politically he is independent, voting for the man rather than the party. They work five hands in the manufacture of tinware, roofing and cornice work.
A Special "Thank You!" to Sherry Pollard for Transcribing the Goodspeed Biographies!