J. S. SHUGART, M. D., was born in Bradley County, near his present location, June 21, 1850, and is the son of L. and Eliza (COSBY) SHUGART. The father was of German descent, was born in Washington County, VA., April 12, 1801, and died in Bradley County, Tenn., May 13, 1877. He went from Virginia to Missouri about 1825 or 1826, and, after remaining there about one year, moved to Mississippi, but before this he went to Texas, and traveled over the State. He remained in Mississippi only a short time, and then came to Bradley County, Tenn., about 1828, settling on the farm on which his son, our subject, now lives. He was a doctor and a farmer. He was quite a public man. When he went to Missouri, he went as Government surveyor, and while there studied medicine. He practiced medicine in Mississippi. Before the war he was an old line Whig; he voted against secession after which he was a Democrat. He obtained his medical education at the Transylvania University. The mother was of English descent, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Our subject was the fifth of nine children. His education was secured at Blue Spring, Chatata and Cleveland. He read medicine at Cleveland with William P. RODEFER, and then went to the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, Md., after which he returned and practiced medicine at Chatata five years, then came to this place. February 19, 1879, he married Miss Alice CATE, who was born in Chatata, Mary 23, 1859. She is the daughter of Jackson and Nancy (SIMMONS) CATE. She was educated at Chatata, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. To this union four children were born, three of them living: Nellie M., Groskie? and Delfoar?, and Bertie E., who was born February 1, 1882, and died July 26, 1884. Our subject is also engaged in farming, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a Master Mason, and a Democrat.
A Special "Thank You!" to Sherry Pollard for Transcribing the Goodspeed Biographies!