First called Eureka, the community was later named Eurekaton because another town in
Tennessee was already named Eureka.
The area was settled in the 1830's and 40's by families from Virginia:
- Howse, Jeter, Jones, Mason, Miller, Newsum, Short, Stoots, Stuart, and Wilkes.
- From North Carolina came the Etheridge, Givson, and Nicholson
- The Craig's and Griffin's migrated from East Tennessee, and Hilliard's
came from both South Carolina and Alabama.
- Located in Fletcher T. Seymour's store.
- Mr. Stott who worked in the store also went to Dancyville once a week
to pick up the mail - which only arrived at Dancyville once a week.
- Others who ran the store after Mr. Seymour were Ben Stuart, Hunter Stuart
and Frank Barden.
Doctors At Eurekton
Dr. Seymour, Dr. Joseph T. Seymour, Dr. Joseph Nelson
and Dr. Thomas K. Powell.
Harmony Baptist Church was organized in October 1837.
22 Nov 2007