Goodspeed, History of Tennessee, Haywood County, 1887
Stanton, situated on the Memphis division of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad twelve miles southwest of Brownsville, was named after Joseph B. Stanton, an old settler, on whose land the village was located in 1856. F. W. Cbainey erected the first house for a store-room in 1856, and was the first postmaster, the office being established that year. The village has had a slow growth. It now contains two dry goods stores, two drug stores, three groceries, two saloons, a grist-mill and cotton-gin, a wheelwright and black- smith shop, a livery stable, undertaker's shop, three churches-Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian-two colored churches, and two schools-one white and one colored.
Debbie Sterbinsky's Stanton Genealogy & History site.
Circa 1827, Samuel P. Ashe mapped a town called Wesley about four miles west of the present Stanton at the juncture of the stage coach road from Bolivar to Randolph and the Brownsville and Somerville Road. Ashe's plat called for thirty lots around a town square and the street 40 feet wide. By 1829 he was selling building lots. Earlier, in another location Peters and Demeranyville ran a store at the crossing of Bolivar and Hatchie Roads. Merchandise purchased in New Orleans was shipped up the Hatchie by flatboat to the landing (unknown) and hauled by oxcart to Wesley. There were at least 4 other stores plus a tannery, cotton gin, tavern and blacksmith and wagon shops. Town amenities included the Franklin Hotel, Masonic Lodge, post office, school, and Methodist and Baptist Churches. Doctors: Dr. John Rogers, Dr. Pugh, Dr. James Schuler. Dr. William E. Rogers, son of Dr. John, stated the U. T. Medical School, Memphis.
Circa 1830, Joseph Blackwell Stanton was buying land in the area for approximately $3.50 an acre. Wesley did not grow fast, 40 families in 1830 and only 56 in 1850. Joseph B. Stanton is said to have used his money and influence to bring the railroad through his land and by-pass Wesley, thus creating the new town of Stanton.
In 1871, the Stanton Lodge and school was build by the Fraternal Order of Free and Accepted Masons who used the second floor for their meetings. J. D. Crafton was the first schoolmaster.
When Stanton was first incorporated, George N. Albright (b. 23 Nov 1893) served as the first Mayor and also served as Clerk and Master of the Chancery Court.
In 1898 the first water tank was erected in Stanton (Haywood History p.21).
22 Nov 2007