LAWRENCE COUNTY FARM CEMETERY
Location: The old County Farm was located North of Lawrenceburg. To locate place, it is necessary to turn West off of Hyw #43 on the 2nd road North of the Memorial Gardens Cemetery. Go for about 1 mile, and when the road crosses Shoal Creek and curves to the right, the site of the old County Farm was to the left after crossing the Creek. The following information was given by Mrs. Whit Smith, who with her husband, moved to the County Farm in 1916 to be in charge of the operation. Her daughter, Mrs. Clyde Graves, was at home at the time and she had kept a partial list of of those who were buried in the cemetery during the time they were at the farm. They stated that there was many graves there at the time they moved to the place in 1916. Needless to say, there were no tombstones, since this was known as the “Poor Farm”, and there was no money provided for this purpose. The graves were marked with fieldstones. After the County moved the Farm to a new location and sold the property, the cemetery was destroyed and is now in cultivation. This occurred several years ago. Mrs. Graves and Mrs. Smith exercised much concern over the destruction of this old cemetery, but were never able to prevent it. It is the hope of many that this spot will be marked by the County at some future time as the final resting spot of those who were buried there and had no families to look after their burials nor to purchase tombstones. The list of names is incomplete, some names are not in full, and there are no dates. The original book containing all the actual dates was destroyed and this list was from memory and from talking with people who had lived there at the time.
WILL SOWELL (negro)
IRVIN WHITMAN ) brothers
Child of CRUST BREWER
This information and list was given in Jan., 1967. Taken from “At Rest” Lawrence County Cemetery records.