Hosted by USGenNet

Lewis Co, TN:
History of
Gordonsburg Church of Christ 
 
 

Gordonsburg 
Church of Christ

Written by Faye Johnston

Submitted by Sammye Lawson

Between 1911 and 1919, Gordonsburg made history that will live in our hearts and minds forever.  The phosphate mines were operating in full capacity, which made it a very heavily populated area (about 1500).

At this time a small group of Christians decided Gordonsburg needed a Church of Christ.  In 1911, Brother T. M. Lawson started the Gordonsburg Church of Christ.  At first, he had Sunday School in his home.  Later they moved to the schoolhouse for services.  Mr. Ed Gallaher started meeting at Swan Chapel across the creek.

Swan Chapel belonged to the Methodists but they didn't have enough members to have church, so they let the Church of Christ meet there.  They continued to meet there until 1927. That is when land was donated by Charleston Manufacturing Co. from Mr. Pleasant, owner of the mining company.  The land came with a 99-year lease but over the years the lease has been misplaced.  In 1928, Mr. Jim Peeler built the now existing Gordonsburg Church of Christ.

Brother Claude Thomas was the first preacher in the new building.  Others were: Melvin Lawson, Coffman, Nesbitt, Love, Will Morton, John Campbell, Colley, Lock, Frazier, Edwards, and Slayder.  The following held revivals: Slayder, S.B. Pittman, Dunn, Clifford, and Melvin Campbell.

Brother Riley Moore was the first regular preacher in 1940 or 1941 and continued to preach there for four years.  Some other preachers were: Carlos Ammons, Melvin Clark, Claude Crews, C. A. Allen, Parks Boshers and Sonny Gordon.

Thanks to Mrs. Thelma Johnston, Mrs. Annie Johnston, Mrs. Neoma Sharp and Mrs. Cecil Rosson for providing this information.  Now future generations can hold in their hearts and minds what we now hold today - precious memories.

Some of the early Christians associated with the Gordonsburg church were: Mr. and Mrs. Andy Thompson, Mr. and Mrs. John Mathis, Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Peyton, Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Lawson, Mr. Tom Baker (Bible teacher), Mr. and Mrs. Will Clay, Mr. and Mrs. Senger, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Devore, Mr. and Mrs. Kelsey Brown, Mrs. Ira Rochelle (kept preachers), Marshell Johnston, Agnes Black, Mr. and Mrs. Bloodworth (depot agent), Mrs. Bertie Quillen, Mrs. Annie Clay, Mr. and Mrs. Willis Mash (kept preachers), Mr. Henry Stenson, Mrs. Ruth Mathis, Mrs. Burnett (taught children's class), Mr. and Mrs. Frank Stockard, Mr. and Mrs. Russell Johnston, Mr. and Mrs. John Sharp, Mrs. Annie Johnston, Mr. and Mrs. Adlie Johnston, Mrs. Tommie Patton, Mrs. Yokley and Mrs. McKnight.  Most of the families had children attending.

 

Post a
Lewis County Query
View Archived
Lewis County Queries
Lewis Co, TN
Homepage
Cemeteries of
Lewis County, TN
Surname Listings
for Lewis Co, TN
1850 Census Index
for Lewis Co, TN
Lewis County, TN
Wills
Books and References
for Lewis Co, TN
Lewis County, TN
Bible Records


Contact the County Coordinator

  This page is ©2000 - 2002 by Cheryl Zelek.  

This page was last updated on  Thursday, August 13, 2015.