Thomas A. Henderson, a well-to-do and enterprising citizen of Monroe County, and a resident of the Fourteenth District, is the son of John and Dorcas (McSpadden) Henderson. He was born near his present place of residence, October 27, 1826. His father was a born in Jefferson County, Tenn., in 1790, and died in Monroe County, Tenn., in 1871. He moved to and entered the land on which our subject is now living, at the early settlement of the county. He was a farmer and house carpenter by occupation. Was magistrate for many years, a member of the Baptist Church and a Republican in politics. His mother was a native of Jefferson County, Tenn., born in 1795 and died in Monroe County in 1869; was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Their family consisted of eleven children, five of whom are now living. Our subject received a liberal education at the East Tennessee University, of Knoxville. He remained on the old homestead, took care of his parents in their old age, and provided for them until their death. He then purchased the home place from the other heirs. September 15, 1857, he married Miss Martha Caldwell, a native of Jefferson County, Tenn., born 1828, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and the daughter of Harvey Caldwell. To this marriage were born five children, all living: William B., James H., Mary E., Oliver B. and Martha C. Mr. Henderson is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a Republican in politics.
James R. Henley, a well-to-do farmer and stock-dealer of the Eleventh District of Monroe County, Tenn., was born near Jonesboro, Washington Co., Tenn., April 30, 1836, and is the second of eight children born to Thomas O. and Melvina (Carroll) Henley. The father was a native of Washington County, Tenn., born about 1814, and died in Meigs County, Tenn., in March, 1886. He was a farmer, came to Cocke County about 1838, to Monroe County in 1854, and to Meigs County in 1870. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and a Democrat in politics. His father, George W. Henley, was a native of Virginia, and came to Washington County, Tenn., at a very early day. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia about 1812, and died in Monroe County in 1867. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject remained with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, and in June, 1863, he married Eliza Jane Edington, a native of Monroe County, Tenn., born in 1843, and the daughter of Samuel and Fannie Edington. Ten children were born to this union, nine now living: Mary F., Samuel O., Charles W., Nellie, Georgie, James F. A., Maude, Joseph J. and John M. Georgie died June 25, 1865, when only fourteen months old. In 1863 our subject moved to his present location where he has since remained. He has been trading in stock since his seventeenth year, and is one of the county's most wide-awake, thorough-going farmers. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, is a Mason, a K. of H., and a Democrat in politics.
Charles C. Jones, M. D., a prominent citizen of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in Union District, S. C., October 9, 1841, and is the son of Joshua W. and Ophelia (Partlow) Jones. The father was of Welsh descent. He was born in Union District, in 1817, and died in Abbeville District, S. C., in 1862. He received his education at South Cumberland University and was afterward a very prominent instructor in South Carolina, and was offered the president's chair in all the leading colleges of the State, but refused because he liked retirement. He taught successively all the branches, viz.: Mathematics, languages, theology and medicine, and was considered the most talented man in the State. At the time of his death he had charge of a college of his own at Jonesville, S. C. In 1844 he represented his district in the legislature. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and a Democrat in politics. The mother's ancestors came originally from France and England. She was born in Union District, S. C., in 1820, and is now a resident of Blount County, Tenn. She has a good education and is a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject is the third of seven children, all now living. He remained with and was educated by his father, and graduated in music under Prof. Rothchild, who was a graduate of music from Heidelburg, Germany, until eighteen years of age, when he went to Philadelphia and attended the Jefferson Medical College, not as student, but as a looker-on, not expecting to practice medicine. After this he enlisted in the Second South Carolina Regiment, or Secession Guards, as sergeant, and remained in service until the close of the war. He was in twenty-three general engagements, was at the battle of Manassas, acted in different capacities during the war, and at its close was sergeant of the signal office, etc. After the war he came to Tennessee to look after some business interests of his brother-in-law, married here and has since been a resident of Monroe County, having been engaged in the practice of medicine and in farming. His marriage with Miss Margaret W. McGhee occurred March 14, 1867. She was born in Monroe County, has a good education, and is the daughter of Barclay J. McGhee. The fruits of this union are nine children, viz.: Lavina O., Barclay J., Sarah E., Ada, Montrie, Olie B., Ewayea, Charles H., and Diva R. In 1876 Dr. Jones was elected justice of the peace, and has since resigned that position, twice, but was elected to the same office the same number of times. His land is in the Seventeenth District, on a bend of the Little Tennessee, and is called Citico for its beautiful location. Dr. Jones is a Democrat in politics, and a very active, enterprising man.
Joshua R. Jones, a well-to-do and enterprising young planter of the Seventeenth District of Monroe County, Tenn., is a native of Abbeville District, S. C., and is the son of Joshua W. and Ophelia (Partlow) Jones. He received a very liberal education but could not attend college on account of the breaking out of the war. His brothers had all enlisted in the Confederate Army, and he, at the age of ten, was left to superintend the farm and the shoe and leather works (his mother had taken a contract to furnish shoes to the Southern Army, which she did with credit to herself). In the fall of 1865 our subject came to Monroe County, Tenn., as a refugee; after the excitement had subsided he returned to South Carolina, and remained there until 1869, when he returned to Monroe, and made it his permanent home. July 13, 1869, he chose for his companion through life, Miss Lavina McGhee, a daughter of Barclay and Mary K. (Henley) McGhee, of Scotch-Irish descent. Our subject's land, consisting of 2,350 acres, is situated on the Little Tennessee River and on a part of the Taylor and Bark Indian Reservation. Our subject is a great sportsman, likes dogs and horses, and spends a great deal of time hunting.
Rev. J. P. Kefauver, a prominent Baptist minister and a resident of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in Roanoke County, Va., December 29, 1823, and is the only child born to Jacob and Nancy (Vineyard) Kefauver. The Kefauver family originally came from Germany and settled in Va. The father of our subject was born in Maryland, in 1798, and died in Roanoke County, Va., in 1863. He moved to Roanoke County when a boy, received a good education, was a member and exhorter in the Baptist Church, and was a Democrat in politics. The mother was born in Maryland, in 1800, and was of French extraction. She died in Roanoke County, Va., in 1825. The father afterward married Miss Sarah James, who bore him eight children. At the age of seventeen our subject was apprenticed to a house joiner, and learned that trade. At the age of twenty he became converted, and at that time made up his mind to become a minister of the Gospel. He then went to Holland's Institute, and five years later graduated, after which he went to Bath County, Va., and taught school two years, and was also engaged in preaching. In the meantime he had purchased a farm, and at this time began to raise stock, etc. December 19, 1849, he married Miss Sarah Civily, a native of Alleghany County, Va., born in 1832, and died in the same state one year after marriage, on Christmas day, 1850. December 12, 1860, he married Miss Nancy R. Cooke, a daughter of Dr. R. F. Cooke and a native of Madisonville, Tenn., born December 30, 1839. She had a very liberal education, being a graduate of Bolivar College, Madisonville, both in science and in music. She is a member of the Baptist Church. To their union were born four children: Paul F., Nancy V., Robert C., and Lottie. The same year of his second marriage he moved to Chattanooga, Tenn., and had charge of the First Baptist Church at that place. He remained there until forced to leave on account of the war, or on account of the place becoming a battle-ground. At that time half of the farm he now owns was willed to him, and he purchased the other interest eight years after the war. He is still engaged in his ministerial duties, and is also employed in farming and stock raising.
Capt. William Lee, a prominent citizen of Tellico Plains, Fourteenth District of Monroe County, and the son of Clem and Frances (Richey) Lee, was born in Murray County, Ga., March 29, 1839. The father was born in North Carolina, in 1792, and died in Polk County, in 1852. He moved to Polk County about the time the Hiwassee Purchase was sold. After marriage he moved to Georgia, remained there ten years, and in about 1836 or 1837, he again moved to Polk County where he remained until his death. He was a member of the Baptist Church, and a Democrat in politics. The mother was born in Monroe County, Tenn., about the same date as her husband, and died in the same county in June, 1876. She was also a member of the Baptist Church. Of their family of nine children, five now living, our subject is the seventh. He was only fifteen at the time of his father's death, but assisted his mother all he could by working on the farm or in giving her his wages when he worked out. He also went to school during that time. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company H, Third Tennessee Infantry, Confederate Army, was a private twelve months, and upon the reorganization was elected first lieutenant, and later was made captain. He was at the first battle of Bull Run, was at the battle of Tazewell, siege of Vicksburg, and was in East Tennessee, and paroled at Washington, Ga. He received a severe wound at the siege of Vicksburg. After the war he returned to Tellico Plains, rented land for thirteen years, and then purchased the property where he now resides. June 16, 1865, he married Miss Margaret J. Morgan, a native of Tellico Plains, born October 10, 1839, and a daughter of Amasiah and Irene (Hunt) Morgan. She as well as our subject is a member of the Baptist Church. To their marriage were born six children: John L., A. Thomas, Francis I., Margaret J, Mary H. and Worth S. Mr. Lee has been quite successful in all business transactions, and is a good citizen. He is a Democrat in politics.
James F. Magill, a prominent citizen and well-to-do farmer of the Sixth Civil District of Monroe County, Tenn., was born within half a mile of his present place of residence, May 12, 1825, and is the son of Nathaniel and Jane (Rankin) Magill. The father was born in Greene County, Tenn., February 2, 1797, and died in Monroe County, in August, 1878. He came to Monroe County, Tenn., in 1824, made preparations and had his family come the succeeding year. He was a farmer, one of the first magistrates of Monroe County, holding the office three terms, and was chairman of the county court. He was a member and elder in the Presbyterian Church for over forty years. He had a good education, and in his youthful days taught school. He was a Whig in politics. His father, James Magill, was born in Virginia, and when a young man moved to Greene County, Tenn. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was in numerous battles. He died in Monroe County, in 1838, at an advanced age. The ancestors of the Rankin family came from Scotland and settled in Pennsylvania. The father of Jane Rankin moved to Greene County, Tenn., and here she was born in 1801, and died in Monroe County, Tenn., in November, in 1883. Of the nine children born to his parents our subject is the eldest. He secured his education at Dancing Branch Academy, and, after finishing, his father gave him a small tract of land which has been added to until he now owns over 390 acres with principal part under cultivation. September 26, 1850, he married Margaret Johnston, a native of Monroe County, Tenn., born in 1830, and the daughter of Samuel M. and Margaret Johnston. Samuel M. was born in Blount County, Tenn., in 1794, and died in Monroe County, Tenn., in 1876. He was a publisher and printer in Madisonville for some time. His wife, whom he married in 1817, was born in South Carolina, in 1791, and died in Monroe County, April 6, 1877. Margaret, wife of our subject, received a reasonably good education, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church. To their marriage were born ten children, eight of whom are now living: Esther A. A., William N., Margaret E., Hugh R., LaFayette J., Harvey E., Franklin M., and Ada N. Those deceased are Uretta J. and Samual O. In 1860 our subject was elected justice of the peace, held the office for twelve years, and was one of the three associate justices for several years. He has often been urged by friends to accept the nomination for the legislature, but has always declined. He is a member and elder of the Presbyterian Church, is a Mason, a Republican and was decidedly opposed to the late war.
William N. Magill, the present county court clerk of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in Dancing Branch, Monroe Co., Tenn., January 23, 1857, and is the son of James F. and Margaret (Johnston) Magill. Our subject is the fourth child born to his parents. He remained at home until seventeen years of age, after which he went to Union Springs, Ala., and engaged as salesman in the mercantile business for an uncle, William M. Stickley, of that place. He remained there until 1877 when he returned and went to school in Madisonville, Monroe County. He afterward engaged as saleman in the establishment of Maj. Joseph A. Peck, at Madisonville, for one year. He then took a partnership, and has since continued interested in that business. March 30, 1880, he married Miss Sadie H. Peck, a native of Jalapa, Monroe Co., Tenn., born July 3, 1863, and the daughter of Joseph A. Peck. She has an excellent education, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In August, 1886, Mr. Magill was elected, to the office he now holds, by the Democratic party, defeating D. E. Harris. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and is an enterprising man, and supports and advocates the cause of religion.
T. P. Milligan, a prominent farmer of the Fourteenth District of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in Ball Play Creek, in the Sixteenth District of Monroe County, July 29, 1847, and is the son of William and Nancy (Harrison) Milligan. The father was born in North Carolina, July 4, 1817, was of Irish descent, and is still living, being a resident of Sixteenth District. He has been a farmer and school teacher, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and a Republican in politics. In the spring of 1864 he enlisted in Company D, Third Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Federal Army), as a private, was soon made captain, and was in active service until the close of the war. The mother of our subject was born in Monroe County, in 1822, and is also living. Her ancestors came from Germany. Of their seven children, all living, our subject is the third. He received a liberal education at Cedar Bluff Academy and at Hiwassee College, and worked on the farm until the spring of 1864, when he enlisted in his father's company, and was in service until the close of war, guarding the railroad from Knoxville of Loudon. At the age of twenty-one he left the parental roof and engaged in the mercantile business at Belltown, in the Forthteenth District, for fifteen years. During that time he purchased the property on which he is now living, and is a very active and enterprising man. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a Republican in politics. May 14, 1878, he married Mary J. Henderson, a native of Monroe County, Tenn., the daughter of B. P. Henderson, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of their five children, four are now living, viz: Charles U., Lula E., Lella J. and Mary. Della M. was a twin of Lella J., and is now deceased.
John Calvin Montgomery, a prominent citizen of Madisonville, Monroe Co.,Tenn., was born in the Third District of Monroe County, June 5, 1823, and is the son of James and Dorcas (Miller) Montgomery. The father was born near Statesville, N.C., in January, 1791, and died in Monroe County, Tenn, in January, 1881. His father came from Washington County, Tenn. when James was quite young, and from there to Blount Cou nty, and later to Monroe County. He was a cabinet-maker, and also followed agricultural pursuits for some time. He was the first man to start a wool carding factory in the county. He had a good education, was a member of the Presbyterian Church for sixty years, and was a thorough theological student, having spent a great deal of money to procure books of that nature. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, a Democrat in politics, and was magistrate for many years. He was the son of William Montgomery, who moved to North Carolina from Pennsylvania, and then to Washington County, Tenn., where he died. The mother of our subject was born in Blount County, Tenn., in 1801and died in Sweet Water Tenn., in 1869. She was a member of the Presbyterian Chruch, and by her marriage became the mother of nine children, seven now living. Our subject is the fourth child born to his parents. He attended Fork Creek Academy, and subsequently attended Tusculum College, in Greene County, Tenn. After completing his education he engaged in mercantile pursuits as a salesman, but soon went into business for himself. He purchased a horse and wagon, and sold goods from the wagon for about a year, after which he engaged in the wool carding business for about six years. On July 10, 1848 he married Miss Martha Blair a native of Monroe County, Tenn., the daughter of William and Mahala Blair, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. In 1850 he purchased a farm in the Ninth District, where he remained until 1865. He then went to Loudon County, and in the fall of the same year moved to Madisonville, Monroe County, and was engaged by the different merchants as salesman. In 1870 he was elected magistrate and in 1872 was elected chairman of the county court, holding this office for nine consecutive years. When he took the office the county warrents were discounted twenty per cent, and when he turned over the office to his successor they were at par. In 1881 he entered the store of J.A. Peck as salesmen, and in 1882 he took a partnership, and continued until the spring of 1887. He is now engaged in setting up the business of the late firm of Magill, Montgomery & Co. His religious views are strictly Presbyterian. He is an ardent Mason, and has stood at the head of, and conducted the affairs of, Tellico Lodge, in the town of Madisonville, Tenn., for twenty years; and so intent was he in having the business conducted according to the strict rules of the order that he absented himself from the regular meeting of the lodge only four times during this long period.
Robert A. McCallie, a well-to-do farmer of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in the Third District of that county May 12, 1846, and is a son of Samuel and Margaert E. (McReynolds) McCallie, both of Scotch-Irish descent, and natives of Sevier County, East Tennessee. Samuel's father, Alexander McCallie, was born in Pennsylvania, May 7, 1781. He came to Blount County, Tenn., at an early date, and married Miss Esther B. McCroskey on November 10, 1803. He subsequently moved to Sevier County, where he died October 9, 1851. His wife died August 31, 1868. His father, John McCallie, was born in the Lowlands of Scotland, January 8, 1754, came to America in 1775, landing at Philadelphia, located in York County, in that State, where he married Nancy Burney. After living in York County a few years he came to Blount County, Tenn and died here March 21,1831. His father, Alexander McCallie lived and died in the Lowlands of Scotland. The father of our subject was born November 15, 1815, and died in Nashville, July 18,1870. The mother was born Januray 18, 1816, and died March 10, 1874. They were married in Monroe County, Tenn, about 1839, and spent fourteen years of thier married life on Fork Creek, and then settled permanently in Madisonville. He kept a public inn, but also engaged in agriculture pursuits , which he had followed in connection with the tanner's trade before coming to Madisonville. He was a Democrat and of the Presbyterian faith. The mother was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Our subject was the second of two children. He received a liberal education in the country schools and subsequently attended school at Morristown, Hamblen County. He began life as a farmer and after the death of his father took charge of the home place and continued the hotel. On April 30,1874, he married Miss Sarah T. Simpson, a native of Monroe County, born June 18, 1854. To them were born four sons and two daughters-one daughter deceased. The same year of his marriage he purchased and settled upon a farm on Fork Creek in the Fifth Civil District, but subsequently exchanged places with his brother-in-law, and settled upon his present farm, in 1880, where he has followed farming. Mr. McCallie is a Democrat in politics, and he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Rev. Solon McCroskey, a well known and popular preacher of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a resident of the Third Civil District of Monroe County, is a native of that county, born January 11, 1830, a son of Samuel and Sarah (Tucker) McCroskey, both natives of Tennessee and of Scotch-Irish and German descent, respectively. The father was a native of Sevier County, born July 24, 1782, and died in Monroe County, September 28, 1848. The mother was born in Jefferson County, November 1, 1808, and died in Monroe County, August 8, 1841. They were married in Monroe County, July 1, 1828, and spent all their married life on Fork Creek Valley,in that county. The father was a farmer, a Democrat in politics, and a prominent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. For twenty years before his death he was an elder in that church. The mother was a member of the same, and a truly pious woman. The father was married three times: First, to Miss Mary McCollum, of Blount County, Tenn., November 12, 1816. She died December 26, 1817, leaving a daughter. July 4, 1822, he married Miss Elizabeth C. Grant, of Monroe County. She died August 23, 1824, leaving two children, a son and a daughter; the son died while still quite young. The third marriage was with our subject's mother, and of their family of six children, our subject is the eldest. He received a fair education in his youth, and attended Hiwassee College before his marriage. At about the age of twelve he embraced religion, but never entered the ministry until thirty-one years of age. He had thought of nothing but farming up to the time he was twenty-nine years of age, when he became convinced that he was called upon to preach the Gospel. He determined to secure a better education, and in the early part of 1860 he, with his wife and five children, moved to Ewing and Jefferson College, Blount County, where he attended school about two years. He then returned to Monroe County, settled on his farm, and since that time has administered to the spiritual wants of his fellow-men, being constantly in the work for the last fifteen years, and has served congregations in Monroe, Blount, and McMinn Counties. The following are some of the important charges he has served as pastor: The Madisonville congregation for the last twelve or fifteen years of his twenty-two years of ministry; Rockville, Monroe Co., since 1869, except one year. He organized Rockville Church, and at the same time gave half of his time to the Sweetwater congregation for three years. About ten years ago he organized a church in Blount County, near Maryville, and has been a preacher for this congregation ever since, except three years. He is now pastor of the following churches: Madisonville, Rockville, Monroe County, Holston Church, Blount County, and Springfield, also in Blount County. Our subject has been married twice, the first time, October 24, 1849, to Miss Nancy J. Mayo, daughter of the late Rev. B.H. Mayo, of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. She was born in Monroe County, July 17, 1828, and died in the same county, November 27, 1874. November 16, 1875, Mr. McCroskey married Miss Sibby E. Eagleton, of Blount County, Tenn., born June 7, 1841. He became the father of eight children by his first marriage, three of whom are dead, and four by his second marriage, one son being deceased. His first wife was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and his second wife is a member of the same church. Our subject is independent in politics, is a strong Prohibitionist, and is working for the party. He has a son, John A. McCroskey, in Greene County, Mo., who is also laboring in the ministry.
Henry M. McCroskey, a prominent citizen, merchant and planter of Monroe County, is a native of East Tennessee; born at his present location March 3, 1840; son of John and Priscilla (McCray) McCroskey, both of Irish descent and natives of East Tennessee, the father of Sevier and the mother of Washington County. The former was born March 17, 1788, and died in Monroe County November 10, 1866. The mother was born December 28, 1808, and died in Monroe County November 23, 1879. They were married in Washington County in 1836 and afterward located in Monroe County, where our subject is now living, and here they passed the remainder of their days. The father was among the first settlers of Monroe County and at the organization of the county (in 1820) he was elected high sheriff, an office he held ten consecutive years. He afterward gave his attention to farming, in which he was quite successful. He was a stanch Democrat and for about forty years was an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which the mother was also a member. Our subject secured a good education in his youth and completed it at Hiwassee College. His first industrial employment was in agricultural pursuits on his father's plantation, and this has been his chief calling ever since. At about the age of twenty-two, in 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Sixty-second Tennessee Regiment of Infantry (Confederate Army). He went from East Tennessee to Mississippi, and was under Pemberton at the surrender of Vicksburg. He was paroled and subsequently exchanged when he entered the service in the East Tennessee and West Virginia department, and served the remainder of the war. Our subject returned home in the summer of 1865. He served in different departments; at first in the medical department as hospital steward and was afterward placed on detached duty in the ordinance department. His father died in 1866 and the old homestead has been in our subject's charge ever since. October 28, 1873, he married Miss Mary E. Pearce, a native of Chester County, Penn., born December 17, 1851. To them were born three daughters and three sons, one son being deceased. Our subject is a decided Democrat, and he and his wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1872, a year previous to his marriage, our subject made a tour to Colorado, and spent six weeks in the Rocky Mountains in order to regain his health. In 1879 he, in partnership with A.H. Gallaher, established a general merchandise store at Glenloch. He is now engaged in the raising of Jersey cattle.