'GOBEY'FROM THE BOOK: The Heritage of Morgan County, Tennessee 1817-1999 -- Page 17
Gobey is one of Morgan County's best known "ghost towns", but for approximately thirty-five years it played an important role in the cultural and economic life of Morgan County. Gobey was a 'company town', having been established by the Emory River Lumber Company to serve as the center for their lumbering operations in the mountains of Morgan County. After the timber was gone, the property was purchased by the Mahan-Ellison-Eheely coal interests and served the same purpose for their mining ventures on Emory River. Gobey grew into a fair size town and supported a school, a Church, and even a 'movie theater'. The company store was one of the largest stores in the county. Much of the employment in Morgan County for many years was provided by the lumber and mining interests operated out of Gobey. The town ceased to exist shortly after the mines on Emory River closed in the early 1950's. The following excerpts from an article which appeared the March 15, 1918 is shown below. According to information in this article, Gobey must have been started about the beginning of 1918.
"NEW TOWN OF GOBEY"
From the Morgan County Press
dated, 3/15/1918, Vol. 3, No. 23, p 1
On the line of the Emory River Lumber Company's line of Railroad, extending from their Junction with the C. N. O. & T. P. Ry., north of Lancing, down Rock Creek and up Emory. This new town is located at the W.J. Scott farm or opposite thereto, just west of the River. It has sprung up recently, in the last few months, with the developing of the property of the aforesaid Company. It is laid off in streets and is located at the foot-hills which slopes down from Pilot Mountain. We understand the company is seeking the development of their Timber and Mineral lands, as it is well known that there are several stratas or veins of coal, ranging from a few inches in thickness, to more than four feet as shown by out-croppings, or shallow openings. They have recently contracted for additional purchases of land in addition to the Boundaries know as and formerly owned by Dennis Bros., which included several thousand acres. There is not much doubt but that this town is permanent and will a triving mining town, and it will be of interest to watch the development of this property and about which we hope to tell more as progress is made.
From the Morgan County News, January 31, 1935, Vol. 17, No. 38
GOBEY SCHOOL BURNS; LOSS FIXED AT $2,500
Fire destroyed the Gobey Elementary school, four miles north of here, Friday night. The building was a two room structure and was the property of the Emory River Lumber Company. The origin of the fire has not been determined. Supt. L. R. Schubert announced that arrangements had been made with the company officials to hold school for the rest of the term in the company theater building. There was no insurance on the building and the loss is estimated at $2,500.
Article from the Morgan County News, August 1, 1935, Vol. 18, No. 12
GOBEY SCHOOL PROJECT DELAYED:
Due to the transferring of the Gobey School project from the TERA to the new WPA, a delay of a few days is contemplated by local relief authorities. The project approved by the TERA a few days ago was ordered and transferred on new blank and sumitted under the new works program. School will begin in the old community building at Gobey until completion of the new structure.
An advertisement for the
From The Morgan County Press
December 14, 1923, Vol. 6, No. 22
Last trip on way to Chattanooga to be junked
Courtesy of David Wesver
More information and names from GOBEY
showing the name John Gobey Sec'y
Return to HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Return to PHOTO ALBUM
Return to MORGAN COUNTY HOME PAGE
Contributions about the 'Old Town of Gobey' are welcome. e-mail