*MAP OF MORGAN COUNTY
HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
THE FORMING OF MORGAN COUNTY - 1817
*AN ACT - - 1824 - TO BUILD A COURT HOUSE*
*THE OLD TOWN OF GOBEY
*THE OLD TOWN OF MONTGOMERY
The Samuel Hall House on the Emory River
Laurel Dale Cemetery - Rugby
(you will have to use 'back' on your browser to return to this page)
Christ Church Episcopal - Rugby
HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
MORGAN COUNTY is situated on the Cumberland Plateau, which has an elevation of about 1,500 feet above the sea. It is surrounded by the counties of Scott, Anderson, Roane, Cumberland and Fentress. The greater portion of the surface is very broken, especially in the southern part. The principal mountains are the Crab Orchard, Lone and Brushy, the general trend of which is about the same as that of the Cumberland Range. The largest streams in the county are the Emory and the Obed Rivers, with their respective tributaries, Crooked Fork and Clear Creek, and the Clear Fork of the Cumberland River and White Oak Creek.
The settlement of Morgan County began soon after the Indian title to the lands was extinguished. One of the first settlers, if not the first, was SAMUEL HALL, who located about seven miles northeast of Wartburg in 1807. WILLIAM DAVIDSON is said to have come to the county about 1810.
In 1817 the Legislature passed an act providing for the organization of a county to be named in honor of GEN. DANIEL MORGAN. The first term of the county cort was held in January, 1818. A town was laid off on land donated to the county by DANIEL S. LAVENDER and a jail erected. It was situated thirteen miles west of Wartburg on the Nashville Road and was known as Montgomery. In 1823 Fentress County was erected and it vbecame necessary to remove the county seat to a more central location., On July 18, 1826 a new town of Montgomery was liad off on ten acres of land purchased from WILLIAM WALL and lying on the east side of Emory River, about one mile and a half west of Wartburg. In 1824, SAM SCOTT purchased the land previously belonging to WILLIAM WALL. Some time during the 1830's, a county academy known as Walden Academy was established in a two story frame and stood in the rear of the courthouse.
In 1851 the old jail was replaced by a new one and in 1852 commissioners were appointed to superintendent the erection of a new courthouse. In 1870 on March 26, an election was held to decide upon the removal of the seat of justice to Wartburg. The vote favored removal. This new building was completed the following fall.
Other first settlers who came to Morgan County: Elijah Reese, Titus England, John Freels, Mathias Williams, Ephriam Davis, Nicholas Summers, John Webb. Also members of the Prewitt, Hatfield, Human, Brasel, Laymance, Shannon, McCartt, Rector, Brient, and William Davidson who is said to have built the "Indian Tavern".
Return to top of page
Return to Morgan County Home Page