VIEWS OF OLD CATOOSA
According to the book "The Heritage of Morgan County", the area of Catoosa was settled between 1836 and 1847 with land grants to Josiah Kendrid, Thomas Kendrid, William Summers, Joseph Alley, Thomas Staples and William Howard.Settlers came from North Carolina and later from New Orleans. They built homesteads, cleared the land for farming, raised vegetables for food, cattle for milk, horses for work and riding and sheep and hogs for meat.  A school with three rooms was built in 1914 with enrollment growing to about one hundred students. Aboyut 1915 the Barbour Coal and Coke Company started operations.
The flood of 1929 washed the railroad away. In 1950 the state made a wildlife management area out of the Company land.


Courtesy D.E. Todd
~

School Picture
Courtesy D.E. Todd
~
Courtesy Lisa Gilreath
~


Return to PHOTO ALBUM