TOWERS, TUNNELS, TIPPLES AND TRAINS


Note letters "CW"
Old time railroad men will recall the C.W. Tower that
 stood for years at the north end of 22 tunnel near Lancing. 

 Operators worked three shifts a day, seven days a week,
 letting trains through the single tracked tunnels.  Man
 seated in window is the late Fred Briggs. Others are
 unidentified. Installation of central train control early in the
 1950's did away with the C.W. and other tower installatins
 on the CNOT&P." 
 Photo was taken by Sam Briggs.
[From the Morgan County News, Oct. 20, 1966]

Note letters DB
Where was this tower located?
Was this located in Oakdale???
This tunnel has the number "26" located just under where the ladies are standing. May be located in Oakdale.
 
ENGINE NO. 450
~ ~ ~
The shiny green locomotive, No. 4501, pulling three private cars, a baggage car, a coach and a tank car full of water was enroute to Louisville, Ky. It stopped at Oakdale Aug. 18, 1966 with Earl Lehman of Oakdale as engineer and Joe Goldston as Conductor. From Louisville the train  went thru Richmond, Va. via Knoxville to the National Railroad Historical Society Convention. The train is the property of the  Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, Tn.  Southern RR bought it from the K. & T RR Co. at Stearns KY. Southern discontinued the use of steam locomotives soon after WW II.
~ ~ ~ 
From the Morgan County News, Aug. 25, 1966
 

CONTRIBUTIONS WELCOME!  e-mail


Return to PHOTO ALBUM

Return to MORGAN COUNTY HOME PAGE