TOMBSTONE INSCRIPTIONS FROM BLACK CEMETERIES
IN CARROLL COUNTY, TENNESSEE
Compiled by Jonathan K. T. Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 2000
Located south of Howley on U.S. Highway 70; from the latter turn onto Highway 104 and drive about 1.6 miles to a historical marker giving some historical background of this cemetery; at which place turn south onto Furgerson Cemetery Road and go .1 mile to the cemetery. As the historical marker described, "A part of the cemetery was reserved for slaves and Negroes were also buried here following emancipation."
The black section of this cemetery is blanketed in vinca on the north side of the burial ground. Among the early-day whites buried here are Woods, Clarks, McKinneys, Herrons and Joneses, from some of whom their bonds-folk took their own surnames and some of whom are buried here.
Here are buried many who established the Cedar Grove community following the Chickasaw Purchase of 1818. The first burial was in 1834. Also buried here are veterans of the Confederacy, and several Tennessee legislators. with their ancestors. A part of the cemetery was reserved for slaves, and Negroes were also buried here following emancipation.
Return to Contents