From the Vertical Files, Tennessee Room, Jackson-Madison County Library
COLONEL TAYLOR'S CEMETERY
Located in northeast Madison County; about 1.1 mile north of the crossroads in the village of Spring Creek, at a point on U.S. Highway 70, turn west into a private driveway, drive past frame house and at about .1 mile begin to walk to a high point in a field due west about .4 mile from U.S. Highway 70 to this cemetery, terraced off from surrounding ground. In Madison County Deed Book 4, page 85, this burial location is called "Colonel Taylor's graveyard," referring to Colonel Samuel Taylor, postmaster at Forked Deer P.O., the first such office in the Spring Creek area and later Jackson's first postmaster. Colonel Taylor died of tuberculosis, November 6, 1825, in Jackson and was buried in the town's oldest cemetery and his remain were later moved to what is now Riverside Cemetery. Members of his family continued to bury at the family graveyard near Spring Creek for years.
Courtesy of Jonathan Smith, 20 Aug. 1997.
Two fallen tombstones mark the graves of the wives of Major Jesse Taylor.
of our Mother
LYDIA HARRIS TAYLOR
Born in Caswell Co., N.C.
at Spring Creek, Tenn.
Nov. 16, 1831
(on the right side of this shaft tombstone is inscribed: Daughter of EDE HARRIS and DUKE WILLIAMS)
SOUTHERN STATESMAN, Jackson, Nov.19, 1831, mentions the death of LYDIA H., wife of Jesse Taylor, who had died Nov.16, leaving widower and three children.
Magor JESSE TAYLOR
WEST TENNESSEE WHIG, Jackson, April 27, 1887, LUCY, wife of Major Jesse TAYLOR, died in Jackson, April 25, 1887; burial at Spring Creek.
At least six graves, including the two mentioned above, constitute the white persons' burial area in a long row on the south side of cemetery; several black persons' graves located on the north side of the cemetery.