Goodspeed's History of Tennessee

The Goodspeed Publishing Co., Nashville TN, 1886-1887

Shelby Co. TN

Biographical Sketches Shelby County

transcription donated by Rose-Anne Cunningham Bray

~ G - H - I ~

C. B. Galloway, one of the proprietors of the Peabody Hotel, is a native of New Jersey, born in 1835, and at the age of twenty-one he went to Minnesota, and engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1858, after which he came to this city and took charge of the Gayoso Hotel until 1866. He then took charge of the "Worsham " two years and of the "Overton" one year. In 1861 he married Lotta Osterhout, a native of New York, who bore him these children: Lotta (Mrs. R. E. Morris), Charles B. and Emma. In March, 1876, Mr. Galloway took charge of the Peabody Hotel, which is a commodious, five-story structure, 178x178 feet. It has 175 large, elegantly furnished sleeping apartments, with bath and water closets on each floor. It also has three finely furnished parlors and two dining rooms, the dimensions of the main one being 40x100 feet. It has three elevators, is heated by steam and supplied with the electric bell system. The hotel was originally a store-room, and was used as such until December 8, 1867, when it was opened out as a hotel, by D. Cochran & Sons, who conducted it about one and a-half years. A Mr. Goodlow then took charge of it for a few months, after which W. C. Miller assumed the proprietorship for one year. Ile was succeeded by O'Banner & Mars, who in turn were succeeded by Mr. Galloway. Our subject's parents were Rev. Samuel and Rebecca (Scudder) Galloway, natives of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, respectively. The mother is dead and the father is living in Texas.

Hon. Jacob S. Galloway, judge of the probate court, was born in Bergen County, N. J., February 14, 1838, and is the son of Rev. Samuel and Rebecca (Scudder) Galloway, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. His father, who was a graduate of Princeton College and Seminary, was an eminent minister of the Presbyterian Church, and for several years a member of the faculty of Lafayette College, Pennsylvania. Jacob S. was educated by his own efforts, and graduated at Princeton in 1858, with the degree of A. B., delivering the philosophical oration of his class. He then came south and began teaching in Georgia, and in 1859 came to Memphis and continued teaching until the war broke out, when he enlisted as a private in Company A (the Shelby Greys), Fourth Tennessee Regiment, Confederate States of America. At the battle of Shiloh he was severely wounded, and was afterward detailed for lighter service, serving as an enrolling officer until the close of the war, ranking as first lieutenant. After the war he began reading law with Col. Luke W. Finlay and Gen. Albert Pike, and was admitted to practice in 1866, and thus continued successfully until 1876, when he was elected magistrate, and thus served until his election to the judgeship. In 1883-84 he represented Shelby County in the State Senate. In 1879 he was elected special judge of the circuit court by the Memphis bar. He served as coroner of the county from 1879 to 1882.. His official life is characterized by energy and integrity. May 14, 1867, he married Mary E. Tucker, who died of yellow fever in 1878. November 19, 1879, he married Mrs. Sallie R. (Tucker) Coffee. By his first marriage he has three living children—one son and two daughters. He is a Mason, a K. of P., a K. of H. a member of the A. O. U. W., and is one of the substantial citizens of Memphis.

Robert W. Galloway, junior member of the firm of Patterson & Co., came to Memphis in 1865, where he engaged in clerking on a steamboat. for some time. He was afterward engaged as delivery agent for the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, in whose employ he remained till 1870. In that year he became connected with the above named firm. Mr. Galloway is also actively engaged in farming and is one of the wide-awake energetic citizens of the county. He was one of eight commissioners elected to put the taxing district system on foot, which system held good for two and a half years. In 1865 he married Mary Hall of New York and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. Both he and partner organized, and are large stockholders in the Memphis Grain and Package Elevator. Mr. Galloway affiliates with the Democrats in his political views.

Gantt & Patterson, attorneys at law, is a strong firm consisting of Col. George Gantt, Col. Josiah Patterson and M. R. Patterson, and was organized in April, 1878, succeeding the firm of Gantt, Patterson & Lowe. Col. Josiah Patterson is a native of Morgan County, Ala., where he was reared, educated and admitted to the bar in 1859. Upon the breaking out of the late war, he raised, and was made commander of the Fifth Alabama Cavalry, and served with distinction throughout the war. Upon the establishment of peace he opened a law office at Somerville, Ala., where he practiced one year, and then five years in Florence, Ala. In March, 1872, he came to Memphis and was a member of the firm of Patterson & Lowe until the formation of the firm of Gantt, Patterson & Lowe, which was terminated in a few months by the death of Mr. Lowe. In 1882–83 Col. Patterson was a member of the State Legislature from this county. He is a member of the order of F. & M. His parents were Malcolm and Mary (Deloach) Patterson, natives of Maryland, and were of the famous Scotch-Irish descent. They followed the occupation of farming, and died in Morgan County; Ala., the father in 1859 and the mother in 1875. M. R. Patterson is a son of Col. Josiah Patterson and was born in the State of Alabama in 1861. He was educated in the Vanderbilt University, and afterward studied law with his father, and was admitted to the Memphis bar in 1881. He then practiced alone for one year, since which time he has been a member of the law firm of Gantt & Patterson. On the 24th of February, 1886, he was joined in marriage to Miss Lucile Johnson, a native of this city. He is a member of the F. & A. M. order.

Samuel C. Garner was born in Pennsylvania, March 28, 1829, and was the third member of a family of four sons and three daughters, born to Robert and Elizabeth (Dow) Garner, and is of Scotch descent. The parents were born in South Carolina, where they were married in 1818. They then immigrated to Philadelphia, where they remained about eighteen years. The father was a ship-carpenter by trade, but after moving to Philadelphia went into the mercantile business, and died in 1859. The mother died in Ohio in 1860. Our subject was raised chiefly in New Orleans, where he obtained a good education, and in early life learned the trade of brick-mason and plasterer. He moved to Tennessee in 1851, and settled in Memphis, where he carried on the contracting and building business. He was married in Shelby County, Tenn., September 15, 1858, to Miss Matilda A. Molitor, daughter of Francis M. Molitor, who was at one time master mechanic on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. To this union were born Frank R., Willie A. and Matt iQ C. The mother was born in Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Garner and the children are members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and in politics he is a Democrat. He is a man of undeviating honesty, good morals and of a liberal disposition, holding the esteem of all who know him.

Kenneth Garrett, a prominent citizen of Shelby County, was born in North Carolina in 1831, and in 1843 came to Jackson, Tenn., by wagon, with his uncle, K. Garrett. He is the son of John W. and H. Y. (Young) Garrett. The father was a tiller of the soil and was living in North Carolina at the time of his death, which occurred about 1838. The mother died the year previous, leaving four children, who were reared and educated by their uncle, K. Garrett. In 1848 our subject began clerking in a mercantile establishment in the city of Memphis, where he remained three years. During the years 1851 and 1852 he attended college in Virginia, when during the latter year the death of his uncle occasioned his return. In 1853, he, in partnership with his brother, William, and John Hudson, opened a wholesale and retail clothing and gents furnishing goods store in Memphis. Our subject sold his interest in 1855, and located on his farm in this county where he remained till 1858. He then returned to Memphis and engaged in the brick business, which prospered until the beginning of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service, Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, as third lieutenant, but at the expiration of one year was appointed quartermaster, and at the time Col. Jeff Forrest was killed our subject was one of his staff; and was also acting as brigade quartermaster. He received a slight wound while on a raid near Nashville, but remained in service until the close of the war, losing only sixty days in four years. He then returned home and resumed the brick business, also in the fall of 1865 he was cotton clerk at the Louisville & Nashville depot, and in 1866 he took a contract for getting out railroad ties. He has been engaged in railroad contracting and farming up to the present time. In 1853 he married Louisa C. Patrick, of Memphis, and a daughter of J. M. Patrick. The result of this union was eight children, three of whom are yet living. One of his sons, a promising young man of twenty-five, died of yellow fever in 1878. Mr. Garrett is largely connected with the fuel business in Memphis. He is a member of the K. of H. having filled the offices from Vice Dictator to Deputy Grand Dictator.

John Gaston, proprietor of Gaston's Hotel, was born near Bordeaux, France, in 1828, and when about the age of twelve went to live with his uncle, who was then doing a small restaurant business in Paris, France. Mr. Gaston afterward became employed as steward on ocean steamers. After crossing the Atlantic about thirty times he concluded to remain in America. He served as waiter with Delmonico, New York, and as steward of several of the first hotels of Macon and Augusta, Ga. During the war he was employed likewise for the Confederacy, and after the war landed at Memphis almost penniless, where he was again employed as waiter; from that he gradually rose and by close economy he was soon able to open a small restaurant, which, with his knowledge of the business, allowed him in a short time to amass a small fortune (which he kept adding to his business). His restaurant was termed by connoisseur's the Delmonico of the South. Rising step by step Mr. Gaston has become one of the wealthy citizens of Memphis and the wealthiest French citizen. In 1867 he was married to Mrs. Julia S. Meier, who had three children by her previous husband. To our subject and wife were born two children: Annie and John Patrick (deceased). Peter and Jean, the parents of our subject resided in France. The father was an energetic farmer and lived to the ripe old age of eighty years. The mother died young. Mr. Gaston has taken an active interest in all public enterprises, and is an enterprising and thorough-going business man. He is now partially retired in a beautiful suburban home in the south-eastern portion of Memphis.

Gilchrist & Martin, real estate brokers and general collection agents; is a firm composed of M. M. Gilchrist and J. H. T. Martin. Their business was established in June, 1833, by Taylor & Martin, Mr. Gilchrist succeeding Mr. Taylor the following year. The present firm command a large and successful business in real estate, and also do an equally large business in the collection of rents, etc. Their office is on the first floor of the Masonic Temple, and is one of the finest in the city in this line. Mr. Gilchrist is a native of northern Mississippi, and was educated at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, and came to Memphis in 1879, and accepted a position as bookkeeper and cashier with Meacham & Horton, wholesale grocers and cotton factors, and continued thus until he engaged in his present business. He is unmarried, is a Democrat, and is a member of the Tennessee Club and the Jockey and Athletic Clubs, of this city. Mr. Martin is a native of Memphis, and is the son of H. B. Martin, a well known lawyer of this city, and was reared and educated here. He was collector for W. A. Wheatley three years, and later entered the employ of the Gulf, Colorado & Sante Fe Railroad, at Galveston, Tex., continuing there three years. He returned to this city in 1882 and accepted the position of stenographer for Holmes Cummins one year, and then engaged in his present business. He is unmarried, and is a Democrat in politics.

Dr. D. G. Godwin, physician and farmer of the First District of Shelby County, was born in Maury County, Tenn., in 1837. His father, Seth Godwin, was a native of North Carolina, and came to Tennessee at an early day, engaging in farming. Dr. Godwin was educated in Maury County, and attended the Medical University at Nashville, graduating. in 1861. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in the Fifty-first Tennessee Regiment, Company I, and was made lieutenant in Col. John Chester's. Regiment; a year later he was appointed assistant. surgeon, and served in this capacity until the close of the war and surrendered with Gen. Johnston. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Perryville, Murfreesboro, and Franklin. After the war he returned to Shelby County and practiced medicine until 1878, when he went to Hot Springs, Ark., and practiced there one year. At the end of this year he returned to Shelby County and went into business at Arlington, with Messrs. Hughes and Cole, the firm style being Hughes, Godwin & Cole. Dr. Godwin continued his business until January, 1887, when he sold his interest, and now devotes his entire time to farming. In 1865 he was married to Miss Bettie S. Douglass, daughter of G. L. Douglass, a well known farmer of Shelby County. Five children were born to them, four now living. The entire family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Dr. Godwin has been a steward in the church for many years. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and a K. of H. His vote and influence are always given to the Democratic party. He is a man of ability and of fine moral character, greatly esteemed by all who know him.

I. Goldsmith & Bros., dry goods merchants at 348 Main Street, Memphis, began business at 81 and 83 Beale Street in 1870, where they still have a branch store, which is the largest dry goods house on the street. When they began business in Memphis their capital was limited, but by judicious management and honest dealing they have secured and retained the confidence of their patrons and built up an extensive business. When the yellow fever raged in Memphis they opened a branch house in Helena, Ark., where they were very successful. In 1881 they commenced business at 348 Main Street, and are now enjoying an extensive trade upon a cash basis. Isaac Goldsmith, the senior member of the firm, died in June, 1885, and Elias and J. Goldsmith, the two remaining brothers, who constitute the firm, purchased his interest in the business and continued it under the old firm name. The brothers immigrated to America from Germany in 1867, and since then have been residents of Memphis. Elias Goldsmith was married. in 1880 to Miss Belle Stein, daughter of L. Stein, of St. Louis, Mo., and J. Goldsmith was married in 1875 to Miss Dora Ottenheim, daughter of L. Ottenheim, a merchant of Memphis. The brothers are members of several benevolent and relief societies of Memphis, and are among the city's most enterprising and liberal citizens.

Edward Goldsmith, vice-president of the Manhattan Savings Bank and cashier of the German Bank, is a native of Europe, born in 1846, but was reared in Philadelphia, and was there educated, entering the Central High School in the class of 1860. In 1864 he came to Memphis and followed bookkeeping until 1869, from which date until 1873 he continued the same business in the Manhattan Bank. He then became assistant cashier and served as such until 1878, and from that date was cashier until the consolidation of the Manhattan and the German Banks, June 30, 1885, since which date he has been cashier of the latter, and upon the organization of the Manhattan Savings Bank, in 1885, he was elected vice-president. In 1872 Mr. Goldsmith married Miss Mendal, a native of Kentucky, who has borne her husband four children, one son and one daughter still living. Our subject's father, Emanuel Goldsmith, was born in France in 1796, and served in the army of Napoleon Bonaparte, but afterward came to America and engaged in the mercantile business in Philadelphia until his death in 1864. The mother, whose maiden name was Regina Stern, was a native of Bavaria, and died in Philadelphia in 1885. She bore sixteen children, seven of whom survived her.

James M. Goodbar, vice-president of the Mercantile Bank, is a native of Overton County, was born in 1839, moved to White County in 1850 and to Memphis in 1860. Upon reaching the latter city he embarked in the wholesale shoe trade as a member of the firm of Bransford, Goodbar & Co., which firm existed one year. He then enlisted as a private in the Fourth Tennessee Confederate Cavalry Regiment, but was soon promoted to second lieutenant and afterward to quartermaster. At the reorganization of the regiment he was transferred to the commissary department and continued there until the close of the war. He then returned to Memphis and re-embarked in the wholesale boot and shoe trade as a member of the firm of Goodbar & Gilliland, continuing thus until 1876, when the firm was formed of which he is now senior member. The company was reorganized January 1, 1886, and is composed of our subject, W. L. Clark, E. J. Carrington and F. G. Jones, all thorough and enterprising business men. The firm now does an annual business of over $600,00:0. Mr. Goodbar has been a director in the Planter's Insurance Company for several years, and was elected vice-president of the Mercantile Bank at its organization. In 1867 he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Morgan, a native of Mississippi and sister of Hon. J. B. Morgan, at present a member of Congress from that State, and by her has had the following children: William M., Mamie O., Jennie E. (deceased), and James B. He is a member of the K. of H. and of the Presbyterian Church. His parents were William P. and Jane (McKinney) Goodbar, and both were natives of Overton County and are now deceased. The father was a retail merchant and at one time was president of the Sparta branch of the State Bank. He died in 1878 and the mother in 1867.

A. B. Goodbar, the senior member of the firm of Goodbar, Love & Co., wholesale dealers in boots and shoes, came from Lebanon, Tenn., to Memphis, October, 1868, and engaged in the boot and shoe trade with Goodbar & Gilliland, and was admitted to an interest in the business of that firm January, 1873. In February, 1876, Goodbar & Gilliland were succeeded by Goodbar & Co., in which connection A. B. Goodbar continued until January, 1886, when he and his brother, J. H. Goodbar, withdrew from the firm of Goodbar & Co., and organized the firm of Goodbar, Love & Co. A. B. Goodbar was born in Overton County, Tenn., May 2, 1849, where he was reared and received a primary education, and in his seventeenth year he entered the Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., where he remained for three years, and in his twentieth year he came to Memphis and began his business career. He is a director in the Bank of Commerce, a member of the Merchants' Exchange, a vestryman in Calvary Parish and a Royal Arch Mason. His parents are J. M. Goodbar, Sr., and Verlinder (Cullom) Goodbar ; they resided at Lebanon, Tenn., having moved from Overton County to that place in 1865. His paternal great-grandfather came from England to Virginia about the year 1775, and his grandfather came from Virginia to Tennessee about the year 1800 and was one of the pioneers of this State. Two of his paternal granduncles were soldiers in the war of 1812 and were both killed in battle. His maternal great-grandfather, whose name was Cullom, was also of English descent; the family having settled in Maryland, a branch of it moved into Kentucky and afterward into Tennessee. His maternal grandfather, Hon. Alvin Cullom, was an able lawyer aid occupied a prominent place in State and national politics before and during the war of 1861. Other members of this maternal family have been distinguished as soldiers, lawyers and politicians, one of whom,. Hon. Shelby M. Cullom, is now United States senator from Illinois. A. B, Goodbar was married September 9, 1879, to Miss Luan Joy, and they have one child, a son, now living.

Edward W. Gorman was born in Fayette County, Tenn., August 23, 1838, and is a son of Patrick Gorman, who was a native of Tipperary County, Ireland, born in 1811, and when twenty-one years of age, came with his six brothers to America and settled in Tuscumbia, Ala. In 1834 he moved to LaGrange, Tenn., and commenced merchandising, and in 1837 married Caroline R. Burns, a daughter of Rev. Jeremiah Burns. The father was a merchant until he died at his home in LaGrange,. December 19, 1845. For eleven years he was postmaster at LaGrange. The mother was born near Tuscumbia, Ala., in 1818, and is now the wife of T. M. Moore, of Shelby County, Term. Our subject is of Scotch-Irish descent and is the only surviving member of a family of three sons and one daughter. He has made merchandising his chief business. At the age of twenty-one he was appointed postmaster at LaGrange, Tenn., and served until the war, when he resigned to enter the Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry under Col. J. V. Wright, and was in the battles of Belmont, Shiloh, Perryville (Ky.), Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and from Dalton to Atlanta, and was then at Jonesboro and Franklin, Tenn.; he was wounded at Resaca, and again at Franklin, and was taken to Camp Chase, Ohio, and exchanged in March, 1865, at Richmond, Va. After the war he commenced merchandising at Germantown in September, 1865. He was married in Shelby County, September 26, 1866, to Miss Fannie T. Edmonson, daughter of Alexander Edmonson, a farmer. Only two of the seven children born to this marriage are living: P. A. and Patrick. The mother was born in Fayette County, near Somerville, October 15, 1842. Mr. and Mrs. Gorman are members of the Baptist Church. He is a Mason and a Democrat. His residence is in Germantown, where he is engaged in the mercantile business, and is also in the livery business. Mr. Gorman is a man of good business qualifications and of strict integrity, possessing enterprise and energy.

R. C. Graves, superintendent and treasurer of the Bohlen-Huse Machine & Lake Ice Company, came to Memphis at the close of the war, and has since been engaged here in the ice trade: The firm of Bohlen, Wilson & Co. was established in 1850, and existed until Mr. Wilson's death in 1865, when Huse; Loomis & Co. succeeded to Mr. Wilson's interest, and the firm took its present name, with James Lee, Jr., president and P. R. Bohlen, vice-president. The company has a stock capital of $100,000 and $25,000 surplus, is incorporated, and began the manufacture once in 1873, but still handles lake ice from near Chicago. The company is just on the eve of greatly increasing their facilities, and intend adding $90,000 worth of improved machinery. The parents of our subject were married in Franklin County, Mass., and were W. M. and Amanda (Root) Graves. The father died in 1859, but the mother is still living. Our subject is one of seven survivors of a family of eight children, there having been no deaths in the family for twenty-eight years. He was born in Massachusetts and lived in Chicago for a short time and then in St. Louis, where he began the ice business in 1865. In 1875 he was married to Miss Laura Belcher, a native of Mississippi. He was appointed police commissioner, under Gov. Hawkins, and was afterward elected for a term of four years, but resigned at the end of the second year. He belongs to the K. of H., and he and family are members of the Episcopal Church.

John R. Greer was born in Shelby County, March 10, 1855. His father, David S. Greer, was a native of Clark County, Ga. ; his parents moved to Tennessee and settled in Robertson County when he was but an infant; a few years later they moved to Henry County, and settled within a few miles of where Paris now stands, and he was the first man to go into the mercantile business west of the Tennessee River; he was a civil engineer and surveyed and laid off the town of Paris, Tenn., and assisted in laying off Holly Springs, Miss., where he moved in 1837, and from there to Memphis, Tenn., in 1843. He was an extensive planter, owning large plantations in Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee; he was a man of fine executive ability, and acquired the bulk of a large fortune before he was forty years of age; he married Miss Martha Dunlap, a daughter of Hugh Dunlap. Three of ten children, born to this marriage, are living: Col. Hugh D., born near Paris, Tenn., February 4, 1836; David S., born in Shelby County, Tenn., January 6, 1852, and our subject. The father died at the present homestead February 17, 1881. The mother was born in Roane County, April 8, 1815, and is still living at the old homestead in Shelby County. John R. Greer was raised on a farm and received a thorough education in the schools at Memphis, and has fine business qualifications, being at present the business manager of the large and undivided estate belonging to the family, and consisting of over 6,000 acres of land in Mississippi and Arkansas, besides the home place in Shelby County. He has served the county as deputy clerk, and is regarded as one of the rising young men of the county.

Henry L. Guion, real estate agent and broker, is a native of this city and was born January 13, 1852, to the marriage of Henry L. Guion, Sr., and Margaret LeMaster, natives respectively of North Carolina and Tennessee. The father, a man of more than ordinary ability, came when a young man to Memphis and became owner and editor of the Weekly American Eagle, one of the first newspapers published in the city. Later he became a member of the firm of Cleaves & Guion, booksellers and stationers. He was one of the most influential and useful citizens of the city and died in 1876 in his sixty-sixth year. Henry L., Jr., grew to man's estate in this city and was educated here and at the Kentucky Military Institute. In 1876 he engaged in the real estate business in this city, and has thus been engaged until the present time, having been successful and prosperous. He is a director in the Factors' Insurance Company and a director in the Mercantile Bank. He is a Democrat, a Master Mason, a member of the Tennessee Club and of the Chickasaw Guards. November 22, 1882, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucy D., daughter of Judge C. F. Vance, of this city. This lady died in February, 1866 [sic]. They had one child, deceased.

 Benjamin F. Haller, secretary of the Hope Oil Mills of Memphis, was born in Smyth County, Va., March 4, 1836, and is the son of George W. and Anna (Johnson) Haller, both natives of Virginia, the father being a physician of prominence. Our subject was reared in Virginia, and given a fair education. He came to Memphis in 1858, and was connected with mercantile houses until the war broke out, when he entered the Confederate service as color-bearer of the Fourth Tennessee Shelby Grays. In August, 1861, he was commissioned to raise a company, which he promptly did, and the same was consolidated with another under the name of the Sumter Grays. He became second lieutenant of this company, and after the battle of Shiloh, first lieutenant. His company was transferred to the artillery service, and was assigned to a siege battery at Corinth, and later to the light artillery service, serving thus under Gen. Forrest until the close of the war. He then for three years engaged in the wholesale grocery business in Memphis, then for a time in the wholesale notion and white goods trade, and in 1874 accepted his present position. October 10, 1867, he was married to Miss Clemmie Fisher, of this city. They have one son. Mr. Haller is a Democrat, a Knight Templar in Masonry (being Past Grand Commander of the State and having held all the offices in his local lodge), a K. of H. and a member of the First Presbyterian Church of this city.

Andrew J. Harris, trustee of Shelby County, was born in Henry County, Tenn., September 5, 1852, and is the son of William R. and Evelina P. (Atkins) Harris, natives respectively of North Carolina and Tennessee. When Andrew J. was six weeks old his father moved to Memphis, where he has since resided. Our subject, upon reaching manhood, served a year as deputy United States marshal, when he resigned and accepted a position in the United States internal revenue service. . His work was the dangerous task of suppressing illicit distilling in West Tennessee. He succeeded in a highly satisfactory manner. Returning to Memphis, he was appointed deputy sheriff, and having served two years was reappointed and served two years longer. In 1882 he was nominated and elected county trustee, and in 1884 was renominated and re-elected. He is one of the most popular officials of Shelby County. He gave:such satisfaction that in 1886 he was again renominated, without opposition, for the same position and re-elected,, and is thus engaged at present. June 7, 1877, he was united in marriage with Miss Emily S. Cummings, a native of Mississippi, and to this union there are four living children—three sons and one daughter. Mr. Harris is a Knight Templar of the Masonic order, and himself and wife are members of the Central Metholist Episcopal Church of Memphis, of which church he is a steward.

Needham F. Harrison, register of Shelby County, was born in Fayette County, Tenn., September 13, 1836, and is the son of Henry and Jerusha (Peden) Harrison, natives respectively of North Carolina and Virginia. In March, 1844, the father moved to Shelby County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1856. He was a successful planter and a useful and honorable citizen. Needham F. was reared and educated in this county and lived upon a plantation until the war broke out, when, in 1861, he enlisted in Company C, known as the " Secession Guards," Thirteenth Tennessee Regiment, Confederate States Army, and served as a non-commissioned officer and private until after the battle of Chickamauga, when he was promoted to first lieutenant of Company C, and as such served honorably until near the close of the war, when he joined the Henderson Scouts and remained with them until the surrender. At Chickamauga he was seriously wounded in the face by a minie-ball. After the war he resumed farming in Shelby County, continuing until August, 1886, when he was elected by the local Democracy to the office of register, and is yet serving acceptably and efficiently in that responsible position. In February, 1866, he was united in marriage with Miss Fannie E. Neely, of this county, and by her has five living children—two sons and three daughters. Mr. Harrison previously lost a wife by death, having by her no issue. He has reached the Royal Arch degree in Masonry, and is the present Grand Scribe of Tennessee. He is also a member of the K. of H., and himself and family are Presbyterians in religious belief.

Capt. James Harvey Mathes is of Scotch-Irish extraction and was born in Jefferson County, Tenn., June 19, 1841, and was reared on his father's farm. He was educated at the country schools until his sixteenth year, when he entered Westminster Academy, East Tennessee, and remained there three years. He then taught school in Alabama, and at the same time pursued the study of law and prepared himself for college. But the war broke out, and on the day that Fort Sumter fell he left his Alabama school and returned home. He immediately espoused the cause of the. South, notwithstanding that his father and many of his relatives adopted Union views. He raised a company for the Confederate service and was made captain, but his company was not accepted and was finally distributed to different branches of the army, and Mr.. Mathes enlisted as a private in the Thirty-seventh Tennessee Regiment, and was elected orderly sergeant of his company, and later was made sergeant-major of his regiment. He participated in the battle of Mill Springs, Ky., and upon the reorganization of the army at Corinth was. elected first lieutenant of his company. He participated at Perryville,. where his regiment lost nearly half its number, killed or wounded. At Murfreesboro he was practically left in command of the regiment by the fall of his superior regimental officers. He did considerable detached duty and special service, and late in 1863 joined his old regiment and was soon after appointed inspector of Tyler's brigade. In the Georgia campaign he was under fire about seventy days out of seventy-five, and during that time wrote for the Memphis Appeal under the nova de plume of "Harvey." July 22, 1864, he was badly wounded in the left knee by the explosion of a shell, and his horse was killed under him. His leg was amputated just above the knee, but he survived the terrible ordeal, although gangrene set in and his life was despaired of. In May, 1865, he returned to Memphis and was paroled. Soon after the war he secured the position of city editor of the Memphis Daily Argus. In 1866 his leg was again amputated, being hastened by a railroad accident. After recovery he connected himself with the Louisville Courier, but ill health forced him to resign, and he then acted as special correspondent from Indianapolis and Chicago. March 1, 1869, he became city editor of the Memphis Public Ledger, and in 1872 was appointed chief editor, and has thus been engaged since. December 2, 1868, he married Miss Mildred Spotswood Cash, daughter of Col. Benj. Cash, and to this union the following children have been born: Mildred Overton; Lee Dandridge, Benjamin Cash, James Harvey and Talbot Spotswood. Capt. Mathes is a member of the Congregational Church, and belongs to the Masonic, B. of H and the A. O. U. W. orders. He has served several terms in the State Legislature, and has been State elector to the national electoral college on the Cleveland and Hendricks ticket. He owns a half interest in the Public Ledger, and continues to be the leading editorial writer of the paper.

David Hastings, a prominent citizen of Shelby County, was born in the south of Scotland, October 6, 1828, and immigrated to America in 1849, settling in the province of New Brunswick, in the British Dominion. In 1853 he moved to Holly Springs, Miss., where he followed farming and carpentering until 1862; then enlisted in the Confederate Army in Company C, Eighteenth Mississippi Cavalry. He was in the battles of Harrisburg, Hurricane Creek and Franklin, and Selma, Ala.; was taken prisoner at Selma, but escaped and soon after reported to Gen. Armstrong at Columbus, Miss. He was granted a parole of ten days, and during the time the general surrender took place. In 1865 he moved to Memphis, Tenn., and engaged in the hotel business until 1884; since then he has enjoyed a quiet life at his beautiful residence in the suburbs of the city. Mr. Hastings was married in New Brunswick, December 10, 1850, to Margaret Murray; daughter of Joseph Murray. Mrs. Hastings was born in New Brunswick on the Straits of Northumberland, April 30, 1833. One daughter, Janet, now the wife of W. H. Landis, of Belle Buckle, Tenn., was born to this union. Mr. and Mrs. Hastings are influential members of the Old School Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hastings is a Democrat and takes an active interest in the success of his party. He owns the Central Hotel at Memphis and 500 acres of land, fifty acres being in the home place, four miles east of Memphis. Mr. Hastings is a man of strict integrity and fine judgment.

Hatchett & Stratton, real estate agents and brokers, No. 298 Main Street, is a strong firm, composed of Americus Hatchett and B. M. Stratton. They do a large general real estate business, and make a specialty of collecting and paying rents, taxes, etc. The present firm established their business in 1883, and it has now grown to large proportions, an index of the energy and faithfulness of the firm. Mr. Hatchett, the senior member of the firm, was born in King William County, Va., July 4, 1822, and is the son of Rev. William Hatchett by his marriage with Miss Hannah T. Gwathmey, both parents being natives of the Old Dominion. Americus was reared in his native State, and removed to Alabama in his twentieth year, where he engaged in the cotton commission business until 1852; then went to New Orleans and followed the same business in New Orleans two years, and then went to Shreveport, La., where he still was engaged in the same business. From 1856 to 1882 he conducted the same business in Memphis, except a few years during, the late war, when he was connected, for a time only, with the quartermaster's department of the Confederate Government, at Memphis. In 1883 he engaged in his present business. He is married and has one son and one daughter. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a member of the R. A., and is a member of the Baptist Church.

Haynes, Ellis & Co., cotton factors and commission merchants, located at 260 Front Street, Memphis, Tenn., and the firm being composed of T. B. Haynes and J. T. Ellis, established their business in 1886. Mr. Haynes, the senior member of the firm, is a native of Henry County, Tenn., and a son of Henry G. and Matilda (Butler) Haynes. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fifth Tennessee Regiment (Confederate Army) and remained in service until 1862, when he was discharged on account of ill health and returned home. In 1862 he married Docia Allen, of Henry County, and the daughter of W. B. and Elizabeth Allen. Four children blessed this union—two daughters and two sons. One daughter died in 1868. Previous to this, in 1865, Mr. Haynes came to this city and engaged in the cotton factor and commission business with J. W. Cobb. He has, since that time, had several partners, and a portion of the time has been alone, until the establishment of the present firm. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. J. T. Ellis, the junior member of the firm, is a native of Shelby County, Tenn., and a son of Robert L. and Mary (Cross) Ellis. He was engaged in business at Bartlett, this county, for six years previous to his engaging in his present business. November 13, 1872, he married Ida E. Crenshaw, daughter of William A. and L. H. Crenshaw, and to this union were born seven children, only three of whom are now living. Mr. Ellis is a Mason and he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

F. H. Heiskell is a member of the prominent law firm of Heiskell & Heiskell, his father, J. B. Heiskell, being the senior member of the firm. In 1874 the firm of Heiskell, Weatherford & Heiskell was formed, but in 1883 Mr. Weatherford withdrew, leaving the firm as it is at present. F. H. Heiskell is a native of Rogersville, Tenn., and was educated at Washington-Lee University, Lexington, Ky., and began the study of law in this city in 1872. He was admitted to the bar in 1874, since which date he has been associated with his father in the practice of his profession. In 1880 he was joined in marriage to Miss Gussie L., daughter of Secretary L. Q. C. Lamar, of Mississippi, and this lady has presented him with three children, all of whom are living. Mr. Heiskell is a member of the K. of H. His father is a native of Knoxville, Tenn., where he was educated and admitted to the bar in about 1843. He practiced at Madisonville, Tenn., until about 1850, and at Rogersville with Col. John Netherland until 1860. He was a member of the Confederate Congress, and at the close of the war came to Memphis where he has since practiced his profession. He was a member of the State constitutional convention of 1870. In 1846 he married Miss Sarah A. McKinney, who bore her husband seven children, of whom five are still living. The grandparents of our subject were Frederick S. and Eliza (Brown) Heiskell. Frederick S. Heiskell edited and published the Knoxville Register from 1816 to 1836, and was State printer from 1820 to 1836. He was a member of the State Legislature in 1847-48. His death occurred in 1882, his wife preceding him in 1854.

Judge C. W. Heiskell is a native of Knox County, Tenn., was educated partly in Knoxville, but graduated at Maryville College. He studied law while teaching school and was admitted to the bar at Rogersville, Tenn., and practiced his profession there until the commencement of the late war, when he enlisted in the Confederate service, and served with distinction, rising steadily in rank, until at the close of the war he was mustered out at High Point, N. C., as colonel of the Nineteenth Tennessee Regiment Infantry. In 1865 he went to Memphis, and has since practiced law there with the exception of eight years (from 1870 to 1878) when he was judge of the circuit court of Shelby County. From 1878 to 1883 he served as city attorney, being one of the strongest advocates who ever occupied that position. He is at present a director in the Memphis Brush Electric Light Company, and is president of the Memphis Bethel, a charitable organization. He was married October 31, 1861, to Miss Eliza Netherland, a native of Rogersville, Tenn., who has born her husband nine children, of whom seven are still living. His parents were Frederick S. and Eliza (Brown) Heiskell, for sketch of whom see above.

John L. Henderson (deceased) was born in Georgia in 1804 and when young moved with his parents to Lincoln County, afterward to Alabama and finally to Jackson, Tenn., where he married Letitia E. Reynolds, who was born September 3, 1807, and the daughter of William and Mary (Exum) Reynolds. Her father was a native of North Carolina and the mother a native of Virginia. When young they moved to Sumner County where they were married and after moving around considerably he went to Mississippi and here the mother died. He then married Frances Cooper and settled in Shelby County where he died in 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson lived for many years in Madison County and later moved to Mississippi. In 1846 he volunteered as a soldier in the Mexican war, but died at Vicksburg ere he reached the scenes of the field. In their family were seven children, all daughters. In 1848 his widow and children moved to Shelby County, Tenn. She has been very successful as a financier, not only paying off all debts against her husband but has arisen to the ownership of 200 acres of splendid land. Both Mr. and Mrs. Henderson were church members, he of the Presbyterian and she of the Methodist. In the days of militia he held the positions of captain, major and colonel.

Dr. W. L. Henderson, superintendent of public instruction of Shelby County, was born in Panola, Miss., June 2, 1838, and is the son of John F. and Irene M. (Shelton) Henderson, natives respectively of Tennessee and Kentucky. Our subject was reared in Missouri, and after attaining his majority began the study of medicine with the view of making it a profession. In 1864 he graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and from the Long Island Hospital the same year. He then attended Bellevue and Blackwell Island Medical Hospitals to study oscultation and diseases of the heart, and secured a certificate from Prof. Austin Flint, Sr. He served in his professional capacity in the Confederate service about two years, but was not regularly commissioned. After the war he practiced medicine in Memphis three years, when he removed to his present residence twelve miles north of the city, and has there conducted his plantation and practiced his profession since, with the exception of two years, when he served as county superintendent from 1881 to 1883. In January, 1887, he was again elected to this position for a term of two years. September 2, 1864, he was married to Miss Margaret J. Steele, of this county, daughter of John Steele, of this city. They have living two sons and one daughter. Mr. Henderson is a Democrat, and a member of the Masonic and K. of H. orders, and of the Episcopal Church.

Dr. B. G. Henning, a finely educated physician of Memphis, and professor of materia medica, and also of the chair of clinical diseases of the rectum, in the Memphis Hospital Medical College, was born in Lauderdale County, Tenn., in 1849, and was one of nine children, only two now living, the parents being Dr. D. M. and Ann B. Henning. The father was born in Georgia in 1813, and received his literary education at Athens, Ga., and graduated in medicine at the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia; he then located in Lauderdale County and began the practice of medicine, meeting with marked success. Dr. Henning, Sr., was a man of fine business qualifications, and amassed a large estate; he was prominently connected with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, and was vice-president of it for awhile. He died in May, 1886. The mother was a native of South Carolina; she moved to Brownsville, Tenn., when young, and was educated there. She died in 1879. Dr. B. G. Henning was educated at Covington, Tenn., under Prof. Byars; in 1868 he entered the Jefferson Medical College, and afterward attended the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York, where he graduated in 1870 ; then spent some time in the hospitals of that city practicing, and after this he moved to Memphis and was connected with the Memphis Medical College until 1872, when he went to Europe and spent some time practicing and studying in the hospitals of London, France and Germany. He was one of the founders of the Memphis Hospital Medical College, and the first to fill the chair of principles and practice of surgery, continuing to hold it for four years, when he resigned on account of ill health, and in October, 1886, he was elected to fill his present position. Dr. Henning has always been a zealous worker in the interests of this institution, and has devoted the best energies of his nature to the study of medicine, and justly deserves his position in the front ranks of the profession. In 1874 he married Miss C. L., daughter of Dr. J. R. Frayser, and they have three children living. He is a man of culture, and stands without a peer in his profession in the State.

George H. Herbers, senior member of the firm of G. H. Berbers & Co., wholesale grocers and liquor dealers, 338 and 340 Front Street, was born in this city in 1851. He was reared and educated here, and first began by clerking for Cloth & Kettmann, July 1, 1866, and became a partner of this firm September 1, 1874, and in 1886 the present firm was formed, consisting of Louis Kettmann, son of H. Kettmann, deceased, of the late firm of Cloth & Kettmann, and our subject. The firm of Cloth & Kettmann existed from 1860 to 1883. The present firm does an annual business of about $500,000. They do a wholesale business exclusively. In 1875 Mr. Herbers was joined in marriage to Miss Christina Mette, a native of this city, who has borne four children: Christina, Lizzie, Clara and George H., all living. The parents of Mr. Herbers were natives of Germany and came to this country about 1845. The father, a retail grocer, died in 1861, and the mother in 1874.

F. B. Herron, a member of the firm of Fly, Herron & Hobson, wholesale grocers, cotton factors and commission merchants, 322 and 324 Front Street, is a native of Panola County, Miss., but was reared in Tallahatchie County, of the same State, and educated in the common schools. He was born in 1848, and passed his youth without noteworthy event. Beginning in 1866 he spent several years in a store as a clerk at Coffeeville, Miss., and then embarked in the mercantile business for himself at the same place, and so continued until the present partnership was formed. He still continued to reside at Coffeeville, however, until April, 1886, when he moved to this city to take charge of his interests here. For the year 1886 the firm had a trade of about $800,000. The firm is one of the strongest and most reliable in the city. Mr. Herron's father died in 1861, but the mother is yet living at Milan, Tenn.

A. Bruce Hill, secretary of the board of education of Memphis, is a son of John S. and Henrietta (Dewese) Hill, natives of North Carolina, born in 1808 and 1813 respectively. They were married in 1835, and the same year came to Tipton County, where they engaged in agricultural pursuits. For about eighteen years he was a magistrate, and in politics a Whig till 1836, being from that time up to the time of his death a Democrat. Their family consisted of nine children—seven sons and two daughters. Four of the boys, A. Bruce, James M., J. Sloan, and E. W.. Thomas fought nobly for the Southern cause during the late war. The last named died in service. In 1863 while waiting on the sick and the wounded of the battle of Chickamauga the father contracted a fever of which he died ere reaching home. The mother still lives. Our subject was born December 12, 1837, in Tipton County, was reared on a farm and received a thorough academic education. At the age of eighteen he began teaching but soon after engaged in the mercantile business. In 1861 he volunteered in Company G, of the Fifty-first Tennessee Infan try, Confederate Army. He was successively promoted to first lieutenant and captain of his company, holding the latter till the close of the war. During nearly four years of service he was neither wounded nor captured, and at the close of the war returned to Tipton County, where he engaged in merchandising. In 1865 he married Hattie E. Thompson who was born in 1843. The fruits of this union are three children, two sons and one daughter, the eldest son being dead. In 1868 Mr. Hill moved to Memphis and the following year his wife died. In 1872 he married Isabelle R. Vanse, born in 1848, and to this union were born seven children—three sons and four daughters. He and both wives are Presbyterians. Having been engaged in the mercantile business till 1881, he was elected secretary of the board of education. He is a Mason, an Odd Fellow; a member of the A. O. U. W., being recorder; a member of the order of K. of H., being financial reporter, and a member of the K. & L. of H., being treasurer. He is a Democrat in politics.

Dr. J. T. B. Hillhouse, superintendent of the roadway of the L. N. 0. & T. R. R., is a son of John and Catherine M. (Van Vranken) Hillhouse. The father was born in New York, and educated at West Point Military School. He held the position of lieutenant in the regular army, and that of assistant adjutant-general on the staff of Gen. Martindale during the late war. The mother was born in Schenectady, N. Y. In the family were three sons. The other two are lawyers. In 1880 the mother died and the following year. the father, too, passed away. Our subject was born October 24, 1848, near Albany, N. Y., and was educated at Yale College, graduating in 1869. Subsequently he was employed as civil engineer by the Southern Pacific & Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy Railroad. In 1876 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at New York, and for three years practiced in New York City. Not liking the profession he returned to his former calling. From 1881 to 1884 he was chief engineer of the Chesapeake, Ohio & Southwestern, also the Louisville Short Route, and in 1885 he was called to his present position. In 1877 he married Mary L. Dickinson, of New York City, by whom he has one daughter, Adelaide. The Doctor is a first-class engineer.

Hirsch & Gronauerr, general insurance agents, is a prominent Memphis firm composed of Samuel Hirsch and Herman Gronauer, whose office is at 289 Main Street. This business was started in 1869 by A. Loeb, who conducted it until 1873, when he removed to Chicago. He was succeeded by Sturm & Hirsch, who continued until 1880, when Mr. Gronauer took Mr. Sturm's place, and Hirsch & Gronauer has been the style of the firm since. They are now doing a very large general insurance business and represent the following well known and reliable companies: London Assurance, of London; British America Assurance, of Toronto; Niagara, of New York; American Central, of St. Louis; Boylston, of Boston, and Howard, of New York. Mr. Hirsch was born in Germany, June 25, 1837, and. came to the United States in 1853 and to Memphis in 1863. He was engaged in the dry goods trade until he entered his present business. He is married and has four sons and three daughters living. He is a K. of H. and since 1873 has been a member of the Memphis board of underwriters, of which he was vice-president six years and president two years. He is now a member and secretary of the Jewish congregation. Mr. Gronauer is also a native of Germany and was born August 5, 1832. He came to the United States in 18.56 and to Memphis in 1858, and followed mercantile pursuits until 1870, when he engaged in his present business. He is married and has four sons and one daughter living. He is a Republican and is vice-president of the Jewish congregation. He belongs to the A. O. U: W. and the I. O. O. F., of which last order he is Past Grand of Schiller Lodge, No. 140, of this city.

Tom Holeman, justice of the peace for the Twelfth District, is a native of Person County, N. C., and was born June 12, 1830, and is the on of James and Mary (Van Hook) Holeman, both parents being natives of North Carolina. Tom was reared and educated in his native State, where he read law, and in 1856 he came to Tennessee and located on a plantation in Shelby County, where he has ever since resided. When the war broke out in 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Tennessee Confederate Infantry, under Col. John V. Wright, and, serving through the grades of private, became lieutenant. He was severely wounded at Shiloh, and was then detailed on lighter duties, continuing thus until the close of the war. He has never fully recovered from the wound in his ankle. After the war he resumed agricultural pursuits, and in 1870 was elected magistrate, which position ht has occupied ever since. In 1874 he was elected chairman of the county court, serving thus until 1882, when he declined to act further in that office. In politics he is a liberal Democrat, believing in the principles of governmental aid to education, protection to American industries, etc. February 14, 1866, he married his present and second wife, who was Miss Lizzie Daniel, a native of Halifax County, N. C., daughter of William Daniel, and niece of John Jones Reeves, the latter a noted congressman of that State. By this union there is one living son—Tom, Jr., born December 25, 1868. Mr. Holeman and family are members of the Episcopal Church.

W. D. Horne, M. D., is a native of Shelby County and a son of J. B. and Martha (Griffin) Horne. The father came from North Carolina to this county, where he has resided for more than fifty years. The mother is a native of Virginia. In their family were six children, five of whom died in infancy. J. B.'s second wife was Mary J. Berry, of Shelby County. This marriage resulted in the birth of five children, four of whom are living. Dr. Horne received his literary education in this. county and at Cave City, Ky. In February, 1876, he began reading medicine under the well known physician, S. C. Maddox, and in October, 1876, he entered the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, where he graduated in February, 1878. He then came to Brunswick . and has been engaged in the practice of his profession at this place ever since with evident success; his practice being large and remunerative. In 1879 he married Rosa L. Pearson, of this county, and the daughter of James L.. and Emily Pearson. Four children blessed our subject's union. He is. a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Knight of Honor.

Mrs. W. H. Horton, superintendent of public instruction of Shelby. County, is a daughter of Judge P. T. and Minerva (Rivers) Scruggs, both natives of Middle Tennessee, the father born in 1806 and the mother in 1808. When young they came to Fayette County, where their marriage rites were duly solemnized. In their family were five children, three of whom are living. One of the boys was killed in the late war. Of the living one son is a lawyer. The father also followed that profession, and, though a self-made man, became prominent in his profession. Having moved to Holly Springs, Miss., he there practiced for a period of about ten years, holding for a time the office of circuit judge. After his return to Memphis he was chosen judge of the criminal court, and was holding that office at the time of his death. Both parents and children are Methodists. In 1860 the mother died, and eighteen years later the father died of yellow fever. The subject is a native of Fayette County and received her education at Franklin Female College, Miss.. In 1861 she married W. H. Horton, a commissioner, of Memphis. The same year of his marriage he entered the Confederate service under Forrest; and, after serving some two years, lost a leg while scouting around Memphis. His constitution having been ruined by the hardships of war; he became an invalid. To support the family of one son and three daughters Mrs. Horton began teaching, which she continued till 1882,. when she was elected superintendent of public instruction and has held the position since. Under her skillful management the schools of Shelby County have attained a standard of excellence second to none in the State.

Henry Hotter, secretary of the Memphis Cotton Exchange and Cotton Exchange Building Company, was born May 22, 1857. His father died in 1865, and he was thrown upon his own resources. He attended the public schools of the city in 1864-65, and was employed in December, 1873, as a messenger for the Cotton Exchange. In 1874 he was appointed clerk and in 1878 was promoted to assistant secretary, and served as such under John S. Toof, secretary, and S. M. Gates, secretary, until the death of Mr. Gates in April, 1881. He was then elected secretary, and has been re-elected to the same office every year since. The history of the Cotton Exchange is his own history. He began with it at its birth, when he was a boy, and is now one of its most trusted and faithful servants. He has been with it over thirteen years, and is the only one of the original employes still with it. He was married September 25, 1880, to Miss Emma E. Bollinger, Memphis, Tenn., and by her has two living daughters. Mr. Hotter is a Democrat.

Bernard Hughes, contracting freight and ticket agent for the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Company, is a son of Edward and Mary ( Fife) Hughes, natives of "the Ever Green Isle." He was born in County Armagh, and she in County Tyrone. Having married in their native country they came to Louisville, Ky., where they passed the remainder of their days. Both lived and died in the Catholic faith. Our subject was born February 5, 1839, in Louisville, Ky., and while growing up received a limited education. In 1858 he became identified with the Memphis & Charleston Road, and save a short intermission during the war, he has been with them since. Few, if any, have been in the employ of one line as long. Having started as a passenger agent he arose by close application to his present responsible position. In 1861 he went out with a division of heavy artillery but was soon called to headquarters to keep up telegraphic communication, serving throughout the war. At its close he spent two years on the plains. He has the honor of having :opened the first telegraphic communication between Montana and the States. In 1871 he married W. E. Ellis, of Henderson, Ky., by whom he had five children. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hughes are members of the Catholic Church. Our subject has gained some distinction as a humorist. He delivers lectures to the public on the following unique subjects: "The Mule," " Sunday Laws," " How men could be taught to cook," etc.

Emmett Howard. As head manager of the Western Union Telegraph officers of Memphis stands Emmett Howard, the son of John and Julia (Duncan) Howard, natives of Davis County, Ky., where they reared a family of four children—three sons and one daughter—two of the sons being telegraphists. The father, a contractor and builder by profession, died in 1853, but the mother still lives in the grand old State of Kentucky. Emmett Howard was born in Kentucky and while growing up learned the useful art of telegraphy and soon took charge of an office. During the war he was on post duty at Meridian, Miss. From 1866 to 1877 he had charge of the office at Humboldt, Tenn., and at the same time was also interested in the mercantile business; from there he went to Columbia, S. C., and had charge of the Western Union office about three years. He then became contracting agent for the company with headquarters at Nashville and in 1881 was transferred to Memphis. In 1873 he married Annie E. Gilbert, of Logan County, Ky., who after a happy wedded life of nine years passed to that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns." Mr. Howard has proved an able and trustworthy officer from the fact that he. is interested.with a position that is of so much moment to the commercial world.

 Harrison Irby, an old and valuable citizen of Colliersville, Tenn., was born in Virginia, February 16, 1818, and is a son of William H. and Sarah (Glass) Irby, who were both natives of Virginia; the father was raised, educated and married in that State. Four sons and five daughters were born to this marriage, our subject being the youngest child. The father immigrated to Alabama in 1826, and settled ten miles northeast of Huntsville, on Flint River, where he followed farming until his death in 1841. The mother died in Virginia, when our subject was but a year old. Harrison Irby was raised on a farm, and received but a limited education. In 1838 he enlisted in the volunteer service, whose duty was to collect the Cherokee Indians in northern Alabama, and assist in their transfer to the Indian Territory. He married in Madison County, Ala., December 13, 1838, Miss M. J. Moore, daughter of James C. Moore, a farmer and native of North Carolina; seven of the eleven children born to this marriage are living. Mrs. Irby was born in North Carolina, March 29, 1818. Mr. Irby moved to Tennessee in 1851 and settled two miles northwest of Colliersville. In 1866 he moved to Colliersville and with Dr. Virginius Leake bought ninety acres of land where the town now stands, and divided it into lots in September of the same year; this took the town from its old site on the State line road, as it was called, to the present site on the Charleston & Memphis Railroad. Mr. Irby has served his district as magistrate and constable, and the county as deputy sheriff, from 1853 until a few years ago. He is a Democrat and a Mason, and was a member of the I. O. O. F. until the lodge ceased to exist. Mr. and Mrs. Irby are both members of the Presbyterian Church. Since the war he has been merchandising under the firm name of Waddy, Revell & Co., but in 1875 placed his son in the business and retired. He owns 1,100 acres of land in the vicinity of Colliersville, the home place of twenty-one acres being within the corporation. Mr. Irby is a man of fine morals and good social position.