Goodspeed's History of Tennessee

The Goodspeed Publishing Co., Nashville TN, 1886-1887

Shelby Co. TN

History of Shelby County

transcription donated by Rose-Anne Cunningham Bray

(page 825)

On the declaration of the existence of war between the United States and Mexico in 1846, the President at once called for 50,000 volunteers. and Congress appropriated $10,000,000 to defray the expenses of the war. The number of volunteers called for from Tennessee was 2,000; however, 2,400 were accepted under the first call for one year's service. These men were divided into the infantry and the cavalry service, there being 1,600 of the former and 800 of the latter. Gov. A. V. Brown set himself earnestly to work to furnish that number. The feeling against Mexico had so wrought on the minds of the people that through patriot-ism or a spirit of adventure, many more were led to offer their services as volunteers than could be accepted. The first steps toward raising troops for the war was a meeting held at the Gayoso Hotel on May 8. Four companies almost immediately tendered their services—the Memphis Rifle Guards, Gaines Guards, Eagle Guards and the Jackson Guards. Only three of these companies were accepted. The two first above mentioned were infantry companies and the third was h cavalry company. The two infantry companies were ordered into camp on June 15, at Camp Carroll, near Memphis. They were mustered into the service by Gen. Hays. The officers of the Memphis Rifle Guards were E. F. Ruth, captain ; J. B. Nelson, first lieutenant; E. M. Anderson, second lieutenant; G. J. Slaughter, ensign; S. H. Whitsett, orderly sergeant; W. S. Echols, Benj. O'Haver, W. A. Porter, sergeants; R. J. Dye, S. T. Woodson, John Glenn, Rort. Torrey, corporals; J. S. Foster, sergeant-major. The officers of the Gaines Guards were M. B. Cook, captain; W. B. Davis, first lieutenant; E. J. Wyatt, second lieutenant; C. Gill, ensign; R. C. Sneed, orderly sergeant; J. D. Beatty, H. L. Bynum, J. L. Wilbar, sergeants; J. C. Anderson, O. Teslard, R. P. Ford, W. H. Linn, corporals. The Eagle Guards organized by electing W. N. Porter, captain; J. L. Penn, first lieutenant; R. M. Anderson, second lieutenant; C. R. Wheat, ensign; Orville Yerger, orderly sergeant; Cyrus Marshall, Chas. Irvine, sergeants ; G. Mattoon, R. Dresser, T. B. Hyler, G. L. Rolon, corporals. The two infantry companies were attached to the Second Regiment, of which Wm. Trousdale was elected colonel. The Second Regiment embarked on board the " Brownsville " on the 10th, for New Orleans and reached New Orleans the last of June; thence was sent to the Brazos in July and was afterward stationed at Camargo till in August, and in September aided in the capture of Monterey.

( page 826)

The place fell on September 21. The troops suffered severe losses at this place; hot weather and climatic changes had proved equally as fatal as the arms of the enemy. The Shelby County troops in the invasion thus far, were attached to the brigade commanded by Gen. Gideon J. Pillow. After the capture of Monterey the main body of Taylor's troops were withdrawn from him and sent to assist Gen. Scott in an attack upon Vera Cruz. Both regiments of Tennessee troops had now been placed in the command of Gem Pillow. The troops started for Tampico on December 14, to embark for Vera Cruz where they arrived on March 9, 1847. After some heavy fighting, Vera Cruz and all its defenses fell into the hands of the Americans on March 29. The army began its advance toward the City of Mexico on April 9, but the progress of the army was disputed by the Mexicans at Cerro Gordo Pass on April 10. It was determined to carry the place by assault. The Second Regiment was on the left of the line. They became entangled in the chapparal in front of the works and suffered terrible losses amounting to seventy-one men. Among the wounded was Gen. Pillow. After the capture of Cerro Gordo the army moved forward to Jalapa. The time of the Second Regiment had expired at this time and the regiment returned to Vera Cruz and embarked for New Orleans where they were discharged and sent home. The Eagle Guards also encamped at Camp Carroll at the Bigspring, two miles east of Memphis. The company consisted of ninety-seven men. Their uniform was of blue cloth faced with yellow. They awaited the arrival of the other troops from Middle and East Tennessee, the last of whom did not arrive until July 2, 1846. The whole force at that time in camp consisted of ten companies of cavalry and four of infantry. By a vote in Camp Carroll J. E. Thomas was elected colonel; Robt. D. Allison, lieutenant-colonel, and Richard Waterhouse, major. The regiment crossed the river at Memphis on July 27, and marched to Little Rock, a distance of 150 miles; thence to Fulton, Ark., 139 miles; thence to Robbins' Ferry, 287 miles; thence to San Antonio, Tex., 246 miles, whence it joined Gen. Taylor's forces at Matamoras. The cavalry was principally engaged in guard duty and had little of the heavy fighting to do. Among those who died of disease was Capt. W. N. Porter. The regiment returned after its year's service and before the volunteers of the second call reached the front, the City of Mexico had surrendered and negotiations for peace were under way.

( page 827)

On April 25, 1861, Gov. Harris directed Gen. S. R. Anderson to proceed to Memphis to organize the various bodies of troops into regiments. He remained till May 3, when Gen. J. T. L. Sneed was appointed to fill the place till the arrival of Maj.-Gen. Gideon J. Pillow on May 9. Active steps were taken to place the city and country in a position of defense. Gen. Pillow issued an order that no company should be received with less than sixty-four men, nor should any one be allowed over one hundred. On May 23 Gen. Pillow ordered all companies that were full into camp at Camp Jackson. Much difficulty was experienced in providing arms and equipments for the men. There were few arms and fewer manufactories for them. The new government set itself earnestly at work to provide means for carrying on the war, which all foresaw was inevitable. The foundry of Quinby & Robinson began casting cannon in May. As fast as men could be armed and equipped they were sent to the front. The whole county became a military camp, or at least an organization. Speakers were sent to every district in the county. All who were not regularly enlisted in the army became members of the committee of safety, of which F. Titus was president. The city of Memphis issued $50,000 in script to furnish supplies to soldiers, and in a short time $25,000 additional was issued. In May the county court issued $25,000 in script to aid in arming and equipping the men of the county. The court allowed $12 a month for the wife, and $6 per month for each child of a volunteer soldier. The men in the various civil districts were organized into companies over which were chosen captains and lieutenants. J. S. Dickason was chosen general commander for the county on May 20, 1861; $30 were allowed for three months' guard service. All surplus arms were turned over to the commanding general, for which warrants on the county were issued. Special taxes were levied for military purposes. On June 3 the county judge appointed Gen. Henry G. Smith a committee to purchase arms, guns, etc. On the 20th of May Gen. Pillow ordered reprisals to be taken of all Northern property passing through the city by river or rail, and a close scrutiny of all goods in transit. On June 1 he ordered all shipments of cotton north to be stopped. The city was organized for military purposes by wards. The ladies, under the leadership of such women as Mrs. S. C. Law, Mrs. Lockhart, Mrs. Pope and others were organized for the purpose of furnishing comforts and delicacies to the soldiers in the field and in the hospitals. On August 22 Gov. Harris issued a proclamation to the women of the State urging them to organize themselves into societies for the purpose above mentioned. In July the troops that had been enlisted in the State service were transferred or mustered into the Confederate States' service. The concentration of the Federals at Cairo led the Confederates to suspect a descent along the river from that point. To forestall such a movement strong works were established near Memphis, at Randolph, Fort Pillow, New Madrid, Island No. 10, and elsewhere along the Mississippi.

(page 828)

On July 26 Gen. Pillow went to the front to supervise the works of defense. Soon after Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, who was commander of the Department of Tennessee, established his headquarters at Memphis. Owing to the threatening attitude of the Federals large bodies were concentrated at points along the Mississippi River, also along the Tennessee and the Cumberland Rivers. On the transfer of the Tennessee troops to the Confederate Government, Gov. Harris issued a call for 30,000 volunteers for a Reserved corps. On the fall of Forts Henry and Donelson the entire available force of the State was called out. This call was made on February 19, and the Legislature was convened at Memphis, the public archives having been removed to that place. The threatening attitude of the Federals soon led to another change. The fall of Fort Henry on February 6, and the fall of Fort Donelson on the 16th led to the fall of Columbus. New Madrid fell ; Island No. 10 with its garrison surrendered on April 7-8 ; Fort Pillow was abandoned on June 4, and Randolph was evacuated soon after. The Federals advanced and captured Memphis in June 6.

One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Senior Tennessee Regiment was incorporated on March 22, 1860, as a militia regiment and took the above number in that line of service. It was incorporated with Wm. H. Carroll as colonel, Preston Smith as lieutenant-colonel, A. H. Douglass as major, and M. J. Wright, second major; Dr. N. Thumel, surgeon, and G. H. Monsarat, adjutant. It had also a full line of company officers. On the outbreak of the war the regiment reorganized and tendered its services to the State for twelve months. Preston Smith was then elected colonel, M. J. Wright, lieutenant-colonel; Ed. Fitzgerald, major; W. H. Stovall, adjutant. Seven of the ten companies were from Memphis and Shelby County. These consisted of Company A, Light Guards, captain, J. Genet; `B, Bluff City Grays, captain, J. H. Edmonson ; C, Hickory Rifles, captain, J. D. Martin ; D, Southern Guards, captain, James Hamilton ; E, Memphis Zouaves, captain, Sterling Fowlkes; F, Jackson Guards, captain, Michael McGaveney; G, Crockett Rangers, captain, M. Patrick.

In May Col. Wright was ordered by Gov. Harris to Randolph. At this place the Southern guards withdrew from the regiment and formed an artillery company. The Beauregards of Memphis, captian, Moreland and the Maynard Rifles, captain, E. A. Cole, were soon attached to this regiment. The One Hundred and Fifty-fourth took part in the skirmishing around Belmont and the various movements in Kentucky, till after the fall of Forts Henry and Donelson. The regiment then moved south and took an active and conspicuous part in the battle of Shiloh, where it lost several men

(page 829)

At the end of the year's service the regiment re-organized at Corinth, Cols. Smith and Wright both having been promoted to brigadier-generalship. Maj. Fitzgerald was elected colonel, Capt. McGaveney, lieutenant-colonel, and Capt. John W. Dawson, major. After the end of the siege of Corinth the army retreated to Tupelo, thence by way of Chattanooga began its advance into Kentucky. In the engagement at Richmond, Ky., Col. Fitzgerald was killed. The regiment was hotly engaged at Perryville, October 8, 1862. After the death of Col. Fitzgerald. Lieut-Col. McGaveney became colonel, Maj. Dawson lieutenant-colonel and Capt. Marsh Patrick, major. The army retreated back to Tennessee, and this regiment was again heavily engaged at Murfreesboro, on December 31, and January 12, 1863. After this battle the Bluff City Grays were attached to Forrest's cavalry, and their place was filled by DeGraffenried's company, from Fayette County. The army fell back to Shelbyville, Tullahoma and Chattanooga, and September 19, 20 was fought the furious battles of Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge on November 25. The regiment wintered near Dalton, Ga., and was engaged in the battles from May 7, 1864, to July 22. At Murfreesboro the regiment lost a third of the men engaged, also heavily at Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge; and from Dalton to Altanta - one company lost twenty-seven men out of twenty-nine, nine of whom were killed, two disabled permanently and the remainder returned to duty. After the fall of Atlanta the regiment followed the fortunes of Hood through Tennessee to Franklin, Nashville and back again. It was then transferred to the east and was engaged at Bentonville, near which place the remnant of the regiment surrendered. Out of 1,100 men belonging to the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth, less than one hundred were left at the surrender. This regiment furnished its share of general officers, i. e., Gens. W. H. Carroll, Preston Smith, M. J. Wright and J. D. Martin.

The Fifth Regiment was made from a consolidation of the Second and Twenty-First Regiments. The Second Regiment was known as J. Knox Walker's regiment. The regimental officers were J. K. Walker, colonel ; J. A. Ashford, lieutenant-colonel and W. B. Ross, major. The regiment was organized about the 1st of May and was at once ordered to duty at Randolph under Gen. J. L. T. Sneed. It was first engaged at Belmont,. on November 7, where with inferior arms it gained a victory. Capt.. Armstrong and Lieut. James Walker were killed in the engagement. The regiment was then engaged in duty at Columbus till the retreat to Corinth. The Twenty-first Regiment was raised about the last of April, at Memphis. The regimental officers were Ed Pickett, colonel; H. Tillman, lieutenant-colonel and J. C. Cole, major.

(page 830)

The regiment reported for duty to Gen. Cheatham, at Union City, but was soon sent to Columbus, Ky., and was also engaged at Belmont, on November 7. The regiment returned by way of Union City, thence south to Corinth. This regiment and also the Second Regiment were engaged in the bloody battle of Shiloh, on April 6 and 7, 1862. After the evacuation of Corinth, the army fell back to Tupelo. Owing to the great depletion of the two regiments the Second and Twenty-first Regiments were consolidated and formed into the Fifth Regiment. On the reorganization on May 28, 1862, J. A. Smith was elected colonel, J. C. Cole, lieutenant-colonel, and R. J. Parson, major. The companies from Shelby were A, captain, Thomas Stokes; B, captain, C. W. Frayser; C, captain, W. H. Brown; D, captain, L. D. Greenlaw; E, captain, J. H. Beard; F, John Fitzgerald; G, captain, W. H. Carroll; H, captain, A. A. Cox. In August the Fifth Regiment was transferred to Mobile, thence to Tyner Station near Chattanooga, preparatory to the advance into Kentucky. It was with the main body of Bragg's army and passed by way of Sparta, Glasgow, to Bardstown, thence to. Munfordsville, and assisted in its capture. It was engaged at Perryville, October 8, and retreated from Kentucky by way of Knoxville, thence moved by way of Tullahoma to the vicinity of Murfreesboro, where it was engaged in that sanguinary battle. It wintered in 1863 at Tullahoma, and fell back with the army across the Tennessee, through Chattanooga, and was in the battle of Chickamauga, on September 19, 20, and again at Missionary Ridge, on November 25. The winter of 1863-64, was spent near Dalton. From Dalton to the fall of Atlanta the Fifth Regiment was engaged almost daily. At Peach Tree Creek, on July 22, private Robt. Coleman shot the distinguished Federal, Gen. McPherson. Coleman was captured and afterward died from wounds. The Fifth Regiment followed Hood into Tennessee, and was almost annihilated at Franklin on November 30. From Nashville the regiment retreated to Corinth, where it was consolidated with the fragments of other regiments. It was then transferred to North Carolina, and was at Bentonville and surrendered at Greensboro on April 26, with less than one hundred men. The regiment was composed almost entirely of Irish, few of whom had families, in consequence of which there were few desertions and very few ever asked for a furlough.

(page 831)

The Fourth Tennessee Regiment was organized May 18, 1861, with R. P. Neely, colonel; O. F. Strahl, lieutenant-colonel; J. F. Henry, major; Henry Hampton, adjutant; J. A. Williams, sergeant; L. P. Yandell, assistant sergeant, and W. C. Gray, chaplain. The regiment contained 962 men. The companies from Shelby County were the Shelby Grays, captain, Somerville ; Pillow Guards, captain, James Fentress ; Raleigh Volunteers, captain, A. J. Kellar; Harris Guards, captain, J. H. Dean. The other companies were from Lauderdale, Dyer, Hardeman, Obion, Gibson and Tipton Counties. The regiment rendezvoused at Germantown May 15, under Gen. W. H. Carroll. It left Memphis May 20, on board the "Ingomar" for Randolph, where it was placed in the brigade of Gen. J. L. T. Sneed. On July 18 it was sent to Fort Pillow, where it was engaged in drilling. It was mustered into the Confederate service by Gen. J. A. Smith on August 17. It was soon sent to New Madrid; thence to Camp Benton, Mo.; thence back to New Madrid, and on September 3, to Columbus, Ky. On November 7 it was engaged at Belmont, on February 4 at Island No. 10; thence it went to New Madrid. On March 17 it was sent to Tiptonville and there embarked for Memphis, where it arrived on March 20. It was sent by the Memphis & Charleston Railroad to Corinth. It was in the advance, on April 4 and 5, and in the engagements of the 6th and 7th. It captured a Federal battery but lost 31 killed and 161 wounded. The regiment was now reduced to 512 men. It was reorganized at Corinth, on April 25, by electing O. F. Strahl, colonel; A. J. Kellar, lieutenant-colonel, and L. W. Finlay, major. From Corinth it went to Tupelo, Mobile, Montgomery, Chattanooga; thence (August 17) to Kentucky by way of Walden's Ridge, the Sequatchie Valley, Pikeville, Sparta, Gainesboro. Mumfordsville, Elizabethtown, Bardstown, Perryville, Danville, Big Springs, near Harrodsburg; thence back to Perryville October 7; was engaged on October 8. It moved to Camp Dick Robinson; thence by Cumberland Gap, Rodgersville, Knoxville, Bridgeport and Murfreesboro and wintered at Shelbyville. On June 23 it fell back toward Chattanooga. In July O. F. Strahl was made a brigadier-general. Other changes followed in the regiment. The regiment fought at Chickamauga, September 19 and 20, and at Missionary Ridge, November 24 and 25. It wintered near Dalton and was in the Georgia campaign till the fall of Atlanta and then followed the fortunes of Hood through Tennessee at Franklin and Nashville. At Franklin Gen. Strahl was killed. The regiment passed through Columbia, Pulaski and across the Tennessee to Corinth where the men were furloughed. In February the men were sent to North Carolina and were at the final struggle at Bentonville and surrendered at Smithfield on April 26.

Thirteenth Regiment was organized at Jackson, Tenn., on June 3, 1861, under call of Gov. Harris. Company C, the secession guards from Germantown under Capt. J. H. Morgan and E. W. Douglass, was the only company from Shelby County. (A sketch of this regiment is given on page 572 of the State history in this volume.)

(page 832)

The Fifteenth Regiment was organized at Jackson, June 7, 1861. The regimental officers were C. M. Carroll, colonel; H. R. Taylor, lieutenant-colonel; J. W. Hamilton, major; several changes occurred from resignations. At the reorganization at Tupelo, R. C. Tyler became colonel, Capt. Brooks lieutenant-colonel, and Dr. Wall, major. The companies from Shelby County belonging to this regiment were the companies of Capts. A. C. Ketchum, Dr. Frank Rice, Chas. E. Ross, Ed. S. Pickett, J. F. Cameron, E. M. Cleary, Joseph Kellar and O. Carroll. Capt. Pickett and his company withdrew from the regiment in a short time and Capt. J. F. Cameron and the Young Guards withdrew at Union City. The places of these were filled by the Washington Rifles from Memphis under Capt. Nick Freck and a company from elsewhere. After the battle of Perryville the Fifteenth was consolidated with the Thirty-seventh. (A fuller history of the Fifteenth may be found on page 573 and 576 of this volume.) The officers of the Young Guards at first were J. F. Cameron, captain; J. Bain, first lieutenant; W. F. Burne, second lieutenant; O. H. Smith, third lieutenant. This company returned to Memphis in June and re-enlisted for " three years or during the war." It was attached to Hindman's legion and served with distinction during the war.

Ninth Tennessee, Companies E and I, were from Memphis. These companies were organized in May, 1861, and each numbered about 100 men. The officers of E were Thomas Apperson, captain; John Brown, first lieutenant; J. N. Hughes, second lieutenant, and Fred Battle, third lieutenant. H. R. Rodgers was captain of Company I. The regiment was organized at Camp Beauregard, Jackson, Tenn., May 22, 1861. H. L. Douglass was elected colonel; C. S. Hurt, lieutenant-colonel and S. H. White, major. The regiment was reorganized in May, 1862, when C. S. Hurt was elected colonel; J. W. Burford, lieutenant-colonel and G. W. Kelso, major. At the surrender, April 26, 1865, the regiment had but forty men, eight of whom belonged to E and nine to I. (See pages 569 and 570 of State history.)

The Thirty-eighth was organized in September, 1861. Its regimental and field officers were Robt. L. Looney, colonel; J. C. Carter, lieutenant-colonel; H. W. Collier, major; H. S. Jones, surgeon; E. A. Shryock, quartermaster and R. L. Caruthers, adjutant. The Shelby County companies were A. H. W. Coulter, captain; B, C. H. Holland, captain; D, H. H. Abbington, captain; I, J. C. Thrasher, captain; G, J. J. Mayfield, captain; H, J. G. Cook, captain; J, W. B. Wright, captain; K, A. B. Lovejoy, captain. (A fuller history of this regiment may be found on page 585 in this volume.)

(page 833)

First Cavalry, Company F, of this regiment, was from Shelby County. This company was commanded by Capt. M. V. Gray. It was organized into a battalion commanded by Maj. H. C. King in April, 1862. Later it helped to form a regiment, the officers of which were Thomas Claiborn, colonel; James Pell, lieutenant-colonel; M. J. Wick, major; H. C. Bate, adjutant. The operations of this regiment were confined mainly to Tennessee and Kentucky.

The nucleus of the Seventh Cavalry was Logwood's battalion, which was composed of the Memphis Light Dragoons, T. H. Logwood, captain; Shelby Light Dragoons, captain, J. G. Ballentine; Tennessee Mounted Rifles, captain, Joe White. This battalion was organized in the fall of 1861, with T. H. Logwood, lieutenant-colonel; C. H. Hill, major; J. W. Somerville, adjutant. This body of men operated in Kentucky and near the State line for some time. On June 10, 1862, this was formed into a regiment, with the following regimental officers: W. H. Jackson, colonel; J. G. Stock, lieutenant-colonel; W. L. Duckworth, major. The following companies were also added: From Shelby County—Company K, W. F. Taylor, captain; J. W. Sneed, first lieutenant; H. W. Watkins, second lieutenant. Company C, S. P. Bassett, captain; J. T. Lawler, first lieutenant; John Albrecht, second lieutenant. A company (partly from Tipton County), J. A. Anderson, captain; Alex. Duckworth, first lieutenant; John Trent, second lieutenant. The regiment was engaged at Bolivar and again at Medon in August; at Britton's Lane, near Denmark, in September; then at Corinth. On October 4 it assisted in cutting Grant's base at Holly Springs, and destroying $5,000,000 worth of stores. It was with Van Dorn in a raid to Bolivar, and then returned to Grenada. It was engaged with Loring and Tilghman at Yazoo. Col. Jackson was made a brigadier-general, and J. C. Stock became colonel, and W. L. Duckworth lieutenant-colonel. Company A, under Capt. W. F. Taylor, became escort to Gen. W. H. Jackson, and Company B, under J. B. Russell, became escort to Gen. Loring. J. B. Lawler became captain of Company C, on the death of Capt. Bassett at Medon. Companies were stationed at different parts of the country. Col. Stock re-signed, and W. L. Duckworth became colonel. In a dash upon Collierville, October 11, the regiment came near capturing Gen. Sherman. His horse, sword and a part of his staff were captured. The regiment then retired to Holly Springs. The Seventh assisted in the defeat of Smith and Grierson in their raid into Mississippi. At a new organization W. L. Duckworth was retained as colonel; W. F. Taylor was made lieutenant-colonel; C. C. Clay, major, and W. S. Pope, adjutant. In March, 1864, the Seventh assisted in the capture of Union City, with 700 prisoners, without loss.

( page 834 )

In the summer of 1864 it assisted in the defeat of Gen. Sturgis at Guntown, Miss., and in the fall joined in the raid through West Tennessee, through Paris and to Johnsonville, where fifteen boats and twenty-one barges were destroyed, the whole amounting to $3,000,000. This was a preliminary step to Hood's raid into Tennessee. The Seventh passed by way of Henryville, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia, Spring Hill and to Franklin November 30, and on to Nashville, where the regiment occupied a position on the Charlotte Pike, within two miles of Nashville, where it was engaged December 15 and 16. When the army had reached Tupelo the men were allowed a furlough, but reassembled again at West Point, Miss., whence they were taken to Selma, where they were opposed by Gen. Wilson, to whom they eurrendered at Gainesville, Ala., in April, 1865. The regiment lost in killed and wounded 207 men.

Forrest's old regiment was organized at Memphis in October, 1861. N. B. Forrest was elected lieutenant-colonel, D. C. Kelley, major, and C. A. Schafer, adjutant. This regiment was made up from both Mississippi and Tennessee. Company C, containing ninety men, was from Memphis, of which company T. H. May was chosen captain. The regiment. originally contained eight companies, and followed the various fortunes of its indomitable leader. It won its first laurels in its escape from Donelson, and was connected with every success of its leader, including the capture of Murfreesboro, with the capture of Col. Streight and the capture of Johnsonville. Before the close of the war the commissioned officers of the companies and the regiment were largely from Memphis and Shelby County.

Bankhead's battery, a body of men 100 in number, was raised by S. P. Bankhead and W. T. C. Humes. It was organized in April, 1861, at Memphis. The commissioned officers of the company were S. P. Bankhead, captain; W. T. C. Humes, first lieutenant; J. C. McDavitt, W. L. Scott and W. B. Greenlaw, second lieutenants. They first saw service at Fort Pillow, in the heavy artillery service, but returned to Memphis in the summer, and were organized as light artillery, having four guns. They were at New Madrid, Columbus, Island No. 10 and at Shiloh, where the battery lost twenty men. On May 14, 1862, the battery was reorganized, and later Capt. Bankhead was made brigadier-general of artillery and W. L. Scott was made commander of the battery. Henceforth it was known as Scott's battery. The battery fought at Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. At the latter place the battery was nearly annihilated. The guns were lost and nearly all the men were killed. There being so few left, the men were attached to Marshall's battery, where they served to the close of the war.

(page 835)

A portion of Jackson's battery, also some of Carnes' battery, were from Memphis, but it is believed no regularly organized body joined either. Company A, and Company H, from Memphis, joined a regiment composed of Tennesseans, Alabamians and Mississippians. The officers of Company A were Joe Barbiere, captain; T. J. Brooks, first lieutenant, and T. J. Spain, second lieutenant. The officers of Company H were J. R. Farabee, captain; G. F. Pillow, first lieutenant. The regiment was organized February 26, 1862. After the capture of Island No. 10 the companies were assigned to some of the older regiments.

Shelby County furnished at least fifty-three full companies; these with the recruits would doubtless aggregate 6,000 men. The voting population in 1860 was only about 6,000.

The evacuation of Forts Pillow and Randolph in June, 1862, left the river open for the advance of the Federals. The concentration of all the Confederate forces at Corinth stripped the country of men. Brig-Gen. Villepigue was then commander of the forces about Memphis and Col. Thos. H. Rosser of the post. The Federal fleet arrived above the city on Thursday night, June 5, and at 9 o'clock anchored within about one mile and a half of the place. It consisted of the rams Queen, Monarch, Lancaster and Switzerland all under command of Col. Charles Ellet. The gunboats were the Benton, Commodore Davis' flagship, St. Louis, Mound City, Louisville, Cairo and Carondolet, all under Commodore C. H. Davis. The Confederate consisted of the Gen. Van Dorn, Gen. Price, Gen. Bragg, Gen. Lovell, Gen. Beauregard, Jeff Thompson, Sumpter and Little Rebel, all under command of Commodore Ed. Montgomery By direction from Richmond M. Jeff Thompson, who witnessed the battle, was made general commander with Montgomery. Before the engagement began Commodore Montgomery made the Little Rebel his flag-ship instead of the Van Dorn owing to a large amount of stores on board that vessel. Thompson says he held a consultation with Montgomery as to the defense to be made. Two companies of soldiers were asked for to help man the boats but before they could be brought from the depot, the battle had begun. According to his statement the action commenced much sooner than was expected. Col. Ellet says he was not expecting to encounter a Confederate fleet at all, as it was understood that it had retreated, and that the action was a surprise to him. By the official report of both Col. Ellet and Commodore Davis, the battle began at 5:30 A. M. and ended at 7 A. M., lasting one hour and a half. The battle was opened by Commodore Montgomery, who advanced to meet the enemy as far as Wolf River. After some wild firing the Queen and Monarch advanced boldly.

( page 836 )

The Queen aimed a blow at the Beauregard but missed her mark and was herself struck by the Beauregard and so damaged that she ran ashore on the Arkansas side. Col. Ellet who commanded the river fleet, was on board the Queen as his flag-ship, and was himself wounded in the leg by a pistol shot, the only casualty on the Federal side. The Beauregard and Price made for the Monarch, but a blow by the Beauregard at the Monarch missed its aim and tore off the wheel-house of the Price, which drifted and sank on the Arkansas shore. The Little Rebel struck the Monarch but did no damage and in turn the Monarch struck the Beauregard and crowded her on her side. The Federal gunboats were now closing in and a shot from one penetrated the boiler of the Beauregard which sank opposite Fort Pickering. A Federal tug rescued the crew. The Gen. Lovell was penetrated early in the action and she careened and sank in deep water. Captain Cabell was killed by a sharpshooter, but Capt. Delacy and most of the crew swam ashore and escaped. The boiler of the Little Rebel was exploded by a shot, but she drifted ashore and most of the crew escaped. The Sumpter, was captured in a damaged condition. The Jeff Thompson was fired by a shell and burned to the water's edge, when her magazine exploded with terrific force. The other vessels attempted to make their escape, but were pursued and all captured except the Van Dorn. The vessels returned from the pursuit at 10 o'clock. According to Commodore Davis, the Federal loss was, Col. Ellet wounded, and the ram, Queen or Queen of the West disabled. He also reported four prisoners captured, and about 100 killed and wounded of the Confederates and seven vessels. M. Jeff Thompson in his report to Beauregard, thinks the battle was ill-advised, that the boats were poorly handled and that the result was unavoidable under the circumstances. He speaks further of the work of the Federal sharpshooters as being particularly fatal. At 10 o'clock Commodore C. H. Davis sent Medical Cadet Chas. R. Ellet, son of Col. Ellet, Lieut. Crandall of the Fifty-ninth Illinois, and ten boatmen bearing a flag of truce, demanding the surrender of the city to the authority of the United States, to which Mayor John Park replied: "By the force of circumstances the city is in your hands." The Federal officers and men then proceeded to place a flag upon the courthouse, also one upon the custom house. They were met by the mayor and leading citizens with their characteristic courtesy, but they were surrounded by a hooting and howling mass who showed their contempt for the invaders not only by hurling invectives but shots and other missiles. In a short time Col. Fitch, with detachments of the Forty-third and Forty-sixth Indiana Regiments landed, and at 3 o'clock P. M. the mayor met him and arranged for the government of the city. Order was issued for business, except saloons, to proceed, and for citizens to return to their homes. Capt. John H. Gould was appointed provost-marshal. The majority of the leading citizens, officers, bankers, etc., left the city and went south. The Federal commander issued rigid orders to the citizens; he also ordered any soldiers pilfering or straggling from ranks to be shot.

( page 837)

A singular feature of the battle was that it was witnessed by almost the entire population of the city, at that time estimated at 5,000. There was more or less friction between the civil and military authorities till July 2, 1864, when martial law was declared. On May 11, 1866, a conflict occurred between the police, citizens and the negro soldiery stationed at the forts. Bad feeling was existing between the police and soldiers, some of whom were of a very disreputable class, and Gen. Stoneman says some of the police were not of the best. The soldiers were used to execute the orders of the Government agents, marshals, etc., and were frequently brought in conflict with the police. A deadly feud grew up, which was encouraged by agitators and demagogues. A reign of terror existed from the 1st to the 3d of May, which was only suppressed by Gen. Wallace and the leading citizens. About twenty-four negroes were killed, and property estimated at $120,000 was destroyed. These disturbances have long since passed away.

In Elmwood Cemetery is set apart a portion for the repose of the Confederate dead. In this are buried 117, who were residents of Memphis and vicinity. Besides these there are nearly 1,000 from Arkansas and other States. There is now in course of erection a monument, whose towering shaft is to perpetuate the memory of the fallen.

The National Cemetery was established in 1867. The land was selected and purchased by Rev. W. B. Earnshaw, Lieut.-Col. A. W. Willis and Maj. G. W. Marshall. It was first called the Mississippi River National Cemetery, but has since been named the Memphis National Cemetery. There was purchased forty-four acres of ground for which there was paid $9,817.56. A space about 800x1,800 feet, about thirty-seven acres, is enclosed by a brick wall; the remaining seven acres are enclosed by a wooden fence. In the main enclosure are buried the remains of the soldiers. This enclosure also contains the house of the superintendent and such other buildings as are necessary. Sections are set apart for the regular army, the navy, and each of the States whose soldiers are buried there. There is also the " Fort Pillow Section," containing 248 dead. The cemetery contains the remains of all who died from Kentucky to Mississippi, including both sides of the river. It is the fourth cemetery in size in the United States. The order and size are as follows: Vicksburg, 16,588; Nashville, 16,538; Arlington, 16,260, and Memphis, 13,932. In 1874 there had been expended upon the cemetery $249,556.66. It is beautifully shaded and has nice drive ways. Capt. Hess is the present superintendent.