Retyped for the page by Diane Payne
Cedar Hill, a thriving village on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, about seven miles west of Springfield, has a population of about 300.
The town has been entirely built since the completion of the railroad in 1858, when the citizens of the vicinity erected a depot. The land upon which the town is built belonged to Jefferson W. Gooch, who sold all lots with the proviso that liquor in quantities less than a quart should not be sold thereon. As a result no saloon has ever been established.
The first store was built and occupied by Bartlett & Morris as a dry goods store. Miles Jackson built the first dwelling, and a little later B. H. Boone built a dwelling and grocery store. The present business interests are represented by T. J. Ayers and W. R. Featherstone, dry goods; J. F. Ruffin, groceries; J. W. M. Gooch, drugs and groceries; W. L. Melvin, undertaker; J. M. Hunter and Joshua Gardner, blacksmiths, Long & Bell and Braswell & Co., tobacco dealers; Mathews & Son and E. S. Hawkins, physicians.
The Methodists erected a church in 1860, and have a large congregation. The town also has a good school. Thomas McCulloch Lodge, No. 302, F. & A. M., was organized about 1861, and Beulah Lodge, A. O. U. W., in 1881.
Return to the Robertson County Main Page